• Register Today It's free!

Temp gauge going crazy

tworthey

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 eddie bauer
After searching the forum for several weeks I cannot find the same problem. Please HELP!
Driving in town with the starts and stops, my temp gauge goes up to the L on normal. If I sit at idle with the tranny in park or neutral the temp will level out between r and m. If I drive on the highway without the starts and stops, the temp stays between the r and m.
What I've done so far:
- New water pump
- 3 new thermostats (last one 180 degree)
- Both temp sending units new
- Coolant system flush
- New rad
- New hoses

Don't know what else to do.
I have a 94 X Eddie Bauer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

mine was the same.i unhooked the factory sending unit and put in a mechanical temperature meter from equus-end of problem.

burp the system of air really good, lift the front of the truck up, higher than the heater core to allow trapped air to escape

StryctNy9e, Thanks for the advice. I thought I burped it well enough but I didn't jack up the front. I'll try this this evening.

DENZILH, it seems more like something internal. But I'm not ruling out your suggestion. Thanks.

On my '93 Ed B it was the fan clutch.

Thanks. I didn't think to check that. Guess I have some work ahead of me this weekend.

Also check your Plastic Fan for Cracking too.

Mine did that too. As it turned out, the one wire connector was loose. I squeezed the little brass connector and stuck it back on. No more wacko gauge.

I checked the fan and it is cracked. I have also noticed that the ac cooling comes and goes. I ordered a new fan clutch and a new fan. I researched how they work and now believe that this may be the problem. The clutch is controlled by air temp. I'll update once parts get here and I get them installed.

BTW...I double checked sensor connectors and they are making good contact. I cleaned the female side when I installed the new sensor. Thanks for the heads up.

Update:
I replace the fan and fan clutch and it seems to have corrected the problem. Took my X for a long ride to heat it up. Did a whole bunch of starts/stops and the needle stayed between n and o. Thanks FLwireman and Robert Nick.

Back