Temp issue

DJRockit69

Reaction score
City, State
Fargo, ND
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 ex 5.0 swap 4406 swap
Hello everyone
I got a 96 explorer with a 5.0 awd I recently did the V6 to V8 swap now I'm have a issue with my temp gauge I can drive my Ex and watch it heat up but went the thermostat opens the gauge decreases by a drastic amount to just above the C Mark on the gauge now here is a list of what is new with my cooling system the water pump all the hoses the radiator thermostat 195 degree the value that goes to heater core and it's topped off on antifreeze I'm stumped on this also there is no check engine on either any ideas on what this problem could be?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Air in the cooling system. Get trapped in the block and the heater core. Need to burp the system.

How could I do that? And it's blowing really hot air as well

Its a common issue with the trucks any time you drain the cooling system. TSB's out for it. Best fix is park it on an incline or on ramps with the front end up, open radiator cap half way, start the engine and let it run a while. Will puke out some antifreeze but should get the air out.

Ok I will try that thanks

It's still doing it I jacked the front up and did what u said I held the throttle at 2000rpm and for about 15 min and no bubbles or anything

Ok here is an update I checked the sensor and it's reading at about 20 OHMS when cold and it decreases as the temperature rises and the wiring plug is idot proof the only two things I can think of that could be causing this is a faulty gauge in my instrument cluster or a air bubble in my cooling system what are it thoughts on it?

Back