• Register Today It's free!

temp problems/etc

MissBecky725

Reaction score
City, State
charlotte, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer XLT
I have a 96 explorer xlt with the 5.0 and on my way home from work the temp gauge started acting kind of nuts. Right now it's about 45 degrees out and the temp gauge has been staying just a touch over cold but doesn't warm up past the middle by the time I get home (about 30 min of driving).

Today the gauge steadily rose all the way to the H but still "safe zone", my heat gets warm but no matter what setting (low medium high etc) it blows only very minimally (same for ac...an unrelated but possibly related issue) the temp setting I have it on is accurate, cold for ac warm for heat. The air coming out did not feel excessively warm.

I turned down the radio to listen for possible engine noise and when I turned down the radio the temp gauge went back down, so I played with that for a while until I turned the radio off and the temp gauge behaved then started fluctuating again.

When I got home, I popped the hood, did not smell any coolant or see any obvious leaks, I was able to touch a hose so the engine itself could not have been even at normal operating temp. I'm wondering if this is a problem with the thermostat or if a larger issue is at play here.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated! :)

Did you ck the coolant? It could be thermostat sticking.

yeah I just checked it...I have a crap ton of rust so I forsee a radiator flush in my weekend future...yay...thank you though, I'm guessing with the amount of goo in the radiator that I'm going to have to flush/replace quite a bit...and I was about 1/4 gal low on coolant >:|

Back