The easier way to refill your 5 speed manual transmission | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The easier way to refill your 5 speed manual transmission

Just finished transmission fluid change ( drain & fill) on my 5 speed 4x4 Navajo.
Bolts were too tight for me with the 1/2" ratchet wrench I had so I picked up the longer length and heavier torque wrench
at WM. Sprayed the bolts good with PB blaster after coming home last night so the heat was still on the bolts.
Fill & Drain came off easy this morning with the longer wrench. I had ATF fluid came out from the fill hole so I figure they had too much atf in there.

I refilled using a WM Atwood gear lube pump ( $6.95) which screws right on to the qt size ATF bottles. Pumping was easier when I figured out to just push the bottle & pump up on to the frame of the truck rather than trying to push the pump down lying on my back like 50 x per bottle to empty the near 3 quarts. After trying to decide which ATF to use in the Navajo I settled on CASTROL Import Multi-vehicle which is spec for my truck.

Next up is oil change, and both axels.

Back