• Register Today It's free!

thermostat backwards?

jomobile182

Reaction score
City, State
MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
My heat just is not the same after work that has been done :( and I'm wondering if my thermostat is backwards. The main thing is my temp gauge has never gone up to where it is supposed to.

New Thermostat (premium napa then switched to oreilly), heater core, radiator, hoses..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If the thermostat was in backwards I'd expect it to overheat since the hot water would be on the wrong side of the thermostat and it wouldn't open.

As for the gauge not reading, the sending unit and gauge aren't the most accurate. With no difference in actual engine temp our gauge reads completely different by changing the sending unit. It used to always read 1/4 way and now it reads 2/3 the way up.. What I'm saying is just because it is reading "low" doesn't mean its wrong if it was always reading low.

~Mark

I guess I just won't have Sahara Desert heat anymore! :( When I first got it, you couldn't keep your hands on the vent while it was on high settings. :exp:

I installed the thermostat backwards in my old 95 and it had the same symptoms you are describing. Never hurts to check.

very strange... I flipped it around and I get the same temperature readings. It doesn't over heat and my heat seems the same, but my gauge does fluctuate slightly sometimes.

My next step is checking out the temperature thermostat they sold me and what it should be.

Back