bonefish

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
South Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mountaineer V-8
Have a 1999 Mountaineer V8.
A few years ago I replaced the thermostat.
One of the bolts to the thermostat housing rung off. I had to drill it out and re-tap it to get another bolt in.
I boogered up the bolt hole doing all this and there is not a lot of metal left for the bolt to go in.
So I decided to put in a fail open thermostat because I didn't want to try and take it apart again.
Well I believe it failed again and I've been driving with a stuck open thermostat for a couple of years.
The problem is in the winter it just won't heat up and the heater won't blow hot air.
Is it worth trying to replace the thermostat again or should I just keep driving it like it is.
Thanks

As a matter of competent maintenance, you better take care of this.... (Even though it is very annoying and involves a questionable design with poor quality parts)

It'd be a hack job from a purist perspective, but they do make inline thermostats (housings), where you'd cut the upper radiator hose to install there. They run about $60 on eBay, maybe less elsewhere. Not sure if you need to factor for a temperature offset (reduction) due to being further from the engine.

https://www.google.com/search?q=radiator+hose+inline+thermostat

I didn't think about an inline thermostat. That might work.
Thanks for the reply.

Back