Thinking of lowering - can I still pull my boat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Thinking of lowering - can I still pull my boat?

dtholmanmax

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer XLT
2005, XLT 4x4 V6

My boat is not that big - maybe weighs 3000lbs, trailer & all? Not sure i want to lower but want to make sure I can still pull my boat. I may just get 265/70/16 tires if it's not an option. May just do that even if it is...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well im not sure on that but i will say that ull be much better going with larger tires... if ur trying to pull the boat off a launch with low-pro tires, they may lose traction and ur ass could be in the water... if u have larger ones then ur tires r more flexible and have more torque with the ground, rather than spinning them on wet pavement to lose it all.. my suggestion: 265/75/16

Why would anyone want to LOWER their explorer? The only options should be:
a. Leave it stock, or
b. LIFT it

Leaving it stock is fine, lifting makes it more capable, but what does lowering get you? I haven't seen a single person lower their explorer just to get better gas mileage.

well im not sure on that but i will say that ull be much better going with larger tires... if ur trying to pull the boat off a launch with low-pro tires, they may lose traction and ur ass could be in the water... if u have larger ones then ur tires r more flexible and have more torque with the ground, rather than spinning them on wet pavement to lose it all.. my suggestion: 265/75/16

probably what I'll end up doing in the long run. wish I could find some stock 17s to put on it, then upgrade the tire from there. problem with all of this is that I just don't have much $ right now. It's all on such a budget that it's very difficult to save for anything unless i HAVE to have it...as in upgrade the tires when I actually NEED tires.

I pull a ~3000+lb boat with my 2wd X. I have 22" lowpro tires and the Groundforce lowering kit. I pull on some fairly slick ramps and haven't had a problem. I think having the wider tire helps too.

cloaked_chaos: for looks

probably what I'll end up doing in the long run. wish I could find some stock 17s to put on it, then upgrade the tire from there. problem with all of this is that I just don't have much $ right now. It's all on such a budget that it's very difficult to save for anything unless i HAVE to have it...as in upgrade the tires when I actually NEED tires.

itll also be much less to just buy tires rather than having to get a set of rims also... i would go with the larger 265s and love the look... if u get all terrains (bfg or bridgestone or something similar) they look awesome when they fill out those wheel wells... trust me on this one

I have a 27 foot boat (4400 lbs) and 20 inch wheels with Ground force springs and have no trouble towing or getting up ramps.

Back