• Register Today It's free!

thinking SAS, thoughts please

GONRACIN

Reaction score
City, State
St. Thomas, Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
getting one soon
well, basically, I can get a Dana 30 Jeep axle for free$fifty-free$, and I was thinking, what would be a better setup, if I got this axle? Use say, YJ leafs in the front, or go coil sprung (either RBV coils, XJ coils, or TJ coils) with wedged welded on to use stock (but extended) radius arms, and a panhard bar or something similar? what would you do? my rig is a DD, and also a trail toy...

just looking for some opinions please... :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wait...is this on a B2 or an Explorer? If it's on the Explorer, I wouldn't use a d30. The only thing you gain is flex. By using a d44, you'll have more flex, strength, etc. over stock. I am not a really big fan of leaf sprung fronts unless it is a really big lift on an F250. :D The suspension all really just depends on the amount of lift you want, whether you will need lots of flex and also approach angle. I will be running a coil sprung setup...until I win the lottery and go c/o front and rear. :D

on my BII, only because I haven't found the right explorer yet...I can get a Scout II D44, but the guy wants about $300....the D30 is free, which is why I'm considering it...the guy just needs space and needs it gone...mainly, I'll be looking for a setup with decent flex, like most people...which is why I was leaning towards coil sprung...

GONRACIN said:
on my BII, only because I haven't found the right explorer yet...I can get a Scout II D44, but the guy wants about $300....the D30 is free, which is why I'm considering it...the guy just needs space and needs it gone...mainly, I'll be looking for a setup with decent flex, like most people...which is why I was leaning towards coil sprung...

the Scout II d44 has the axle pumpkin on the wrong side...

I say use the D30 find some c-wedges and radius arms from a 70's Ford and just weld them onto the axle. Then get some radius arm brackets from a 78-79 Ford F150 or Bronco. Fab a tranny crossmember and trackbar mount and use some Early Bronco steering linkage or something.

Leafs might be easier though considering the axle is already set up for them. Less fabrication and parts collecting.

Whatever you decide good luck!

Save up for the d44. Free is about the going rate on d30's, they just aren't all that strong. And to build one up would cost more than a decent d44 (and would still be weaker in the long run). Keep looking for a d44, i picked mine up for 200.

a dana 30 on a bronco 2 is still better than what its got now. and free is free. stick with some 33's 35's tops on something that light and i don't think it'll be bad at all. the dana 44 is stronger and a better choice but depending on what u want, the dana 30 might work jus fine. and if its either the dana 30 or nothing at all i'd say dana 30. it is alot lighter than a explorer... hell its prolly lighter than the jeep the dana 30 came on. there are better options but u could make it work.

XplorerKid said:
the Scout II d44 has the axle pumpkin on the wrong side...

Bump

You will be surprized. The dana30 on jeeps outlast Dana44s sometimes. You will be replacing Stub-shafts on a dana44 before you will brake anything on the d30, esspecially with alloy shafts.

Get what you want, if you plan on running bigger then 35s, then Dana30 isnt going to cut it.

But keep in mind, going to a dana30 isnt upgrading, what you have is already just as strong as a dana30. You are only getting the articulation of a solid axle.

articulation is good, I know the D30 isn't much stronger than my crappy D28...also, I only plan on running 33's, MAYBE 35's, but doubtful....and I don't know what the axle is off yet, if it's an XJ, it won't be leaf sprung, if will be coil...

GONRACIN said:
articulation is good, I know the D30 isn't much stronger than my crappy D28...also, I only plan on running 33's, MAYBE 35's, but doubtful....and I don't know what the axle is off yet, if it's an XJ, it won't be leaf sprung, if will be coil...

oh you got the 28...

converting to the early explorer 35 might be more cost effective. Add in a 6" skyjacker (ranger) lift, and 33"s wouldnt be much of a problem.

How much would you end up putting into that swap?

Going for the explorer ttb would put you out by, probably a bit less than $2000 for cores, 6" lift, 4.56, and an ARB.

if you can put in a dana 30 from a jeep, with a 6" lift, ARB, and 4.56 for less then $2000 grand then i'd say go for that.

And being your daily driver, beams would be nice. For offroad, 10," 13" inches travel for a bolt on kit aint bad. A couple hundred bucks more can get cut/turned beams, and really start something serious.

well, before this, I was considering a modified version of a build-up done by a TRS member. I was going to swap in a dana 35, and hopefully a disc 8.8, put a powertrax in each axle (if I could find an ARB or similiar for lower and new price, I'd go that way), put a pair of HD warn "jeep" hubs on it, get good axle drop brackets, extended radius arms, and rancho 3" XJ coils (240lb-in spring rate) and F-250 shock mounts. In the rear, use chevy belltech 6400 shackels, and either explorer 4x4 4 door leafs (which I currently have) or 63" chevy springs....VERY nice articulation, especially for a TTB front end...

Also, keep in mind how cheap and plentiful Dana 30 parts are. If you break you can replace parts easily and inexpensively. Lockers and R&Ps are all widely available and most Jeepers have spare parts laying around that they want to get rid of. The Dana 30 might be your best bet especially if you're only going to run 33's on the Bronco.

Back