Third shock?, or strut in '95 explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Third shock?, or strut in '95 explorer?

Brian Beekel

Reaction score
How's it goin'?

I'm replacing my shocks on my '95 four door/4x4 and I noticed what looks to be like a third shock in the rear located on the passenger side infront of the axle. Is this suppose to control body roll? I'm replacing the rest of the shocks with the edelbrock IAS what do I call this shock in order to replace it? Also my explorer is sagging about 1/2-3/4" in the rear, I read about some of you guys installing helper springs to give you rear lift. I tried a set from Helliwig, but no difference, can someone give me the name of the ones you used to get the extra couple of inches? Thanks in advance and THINK SNOW!!!

Inorder to get rid of the sag you should have purchased ADD A LEAF NOT helpers. I plan on adding the add a leafs to my spring pack, I also have that 3/4" sag in the rear. One thing to think about...take out your overload leaf when you put in the add a leaf. That way you do not lose that precious clearence.
Hope this helps

------------------
Nick
'93 XLT 4 Door 4x4

Somebody correct me if I am wrong but the rear shock that you are talking about is a result of the infamous vibration problem of the 19-94 explorers. Ford redesigned the motor mounts and added that shock to help with after shake of the rear end. It is supposed to tighten things up a bit. I have a 91 explorer and I always hear a clunking sound in the rear that so many report about. This shock is supposed to take care of that.

Back