This is probably going to sound stupid but | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

This is probably going to sound stupid but

BP_93explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Bedford, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Sport 2wd (GONE)
I've never seen it before so it has me worried. Usually corrosion I see is white. My battery terminals have this red goo on them. I had a shop do some work on the old Explorer and they recommended a battery service. I told them not this time. Maybe I should have. The battery is only about 2 months old, Everstart. It wouldn't start tonight :confused:
Anyways, can somebody tell me what this red goo is?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what does the red "goo" look like, Powdery,Sticky etc.

dcp03467jy.jpg

its on both terminals. looks like jelly

Looks like someone sprayed on corrosion preventor. Maybe thats the battery service your shop want'ed to do?

1IronMike said:
Looks like someone sprayed on corrosion preventor. Maybe thats the battery service your shop want'ed to do?

Yep what he said. Check your connections, if you haven't ever replaced your wires to the battery I would do so. Also whats the voltage on your battery?

Maybe they left the interior light, map light, visor light, or glove box light on when they were working, and you didn't realize when you drove it home from them. Check anything that could be on, and boost the battery. Valet parking people do these things too. They touch things that they shouldn't, then leave them on.

Thanks. I was thinking that it might be some crap they put on. I've been planning to replace the wires so I guess I can do that this weekend. Its been starting fine since last night.

Most shops will use any think to keep the terminals from corroding multi purpose grease, ect. That exactly what it looks like clean your connections take the grease off if you want to. But I would recommend having something there it keeps moister off the terminals so you don’t get that much resistance there after time. It can save trouble in the future.

Is there any other wire set better than the OEM or should that be fine? I've never replaced battery wires on any vehicle.

Battery wires are usually 2, 4, or 6 gauge depending upon the manufacturer. Use only 4, or 2 gauge. 6 gauge is not recommended. Most manufacturers make 4 gauge. Some performance parts places might sell 2 gauge. The lower the number, the thicker the wire.

Back