Thud after stopping.

2001ExpSport

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, Il
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport
OK, about 6 months ago I noticed a thud in the seat of my pants when I come to a stop. If I stop slowly there is no thud, but if I have to stop quickly there is a thud just after I stop. It will either thud after I stop or thud right when I let off the brakes to go. I recently had my brakes done so wasn't that because it still does it.

My concern is that this may be axel rap? I have no idea what is casuing this. When I stop in neutral it doesn't thud. The tranny shifts fine up and down, I tightened my shackles(stock), leaf springs, axel bolts...you name it, I tightened it. I am lost as to what this could be.

It feels like something untwists when I stop or let of the brakes. It doesn't make a sound, just a thud is felt.

Oh, I have an add-a-leaf back there too, but it was fine when it was first installed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh another thing it could be could be your diveshaft slip-yoke needs to be greased.

Mine would make a similar thuding noise only when stopping quickly. It was my radius arms. They were cracked where you couldn't see, so it was hard to locate the problem.

I noticed a thud in the seat of my pants
Ummmm are you sure its a problem with the truck?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by Jason_25
Oh another thing it could be could be your diveshaft slip-yoke needs to be greased.

Ya, I'll check that out.

I agree with Jason_25 - Lube your slip yoke.

But don't expect positive results. I lubed mine real good and it made no difference.

Heh, it figures...

I just had the same problem i went to a suspension shop and tranny shop with no luck finally i went to the dealer and after some driving around they told me there was play between my slip yoke and the driveshaft. They said i needed to replace the driveshaft @ $600. i told them just to grease it up and it was fine for about 5,000 miles and now its back. I'll get around to re-greaseing it sometime soon. Hope this helps.

Yup, same here, I was just gonna suggest that as I opened the thread. I think im gonna put synthetic AMSOIL grease on it. That stuff should work well.

This problem only occurs, as far as I know, in the Sport model. My '95 did not do this, as it was a 4 door, however my '97 Sport 'thuds'. Friggin' annoying. Everyone I have talked to says lubricate the slip yoke.

Where exactly do I lubricate the slip yoke?

Take the driveshaft off when you do it. It's easier to pack grease in there.

Are you serious Jason_25 :eek: Take the driveshaft out! Did they not supply us with a grease fitting in the slip yoke like all my Ford F series trucks have had all along?

I haven't been under there so I don't know. Haven't had the truck long but it too does a little thump on stopping only if you stop a little suddenly and let the truck jerk back a bit.

This thread reads like something out of a ****o mag...... :D

Originally posted by BigOne
Are you serious Jason_25 :eek: Take the driveshaft out! Did they not supply us with a grease fitting in the slip yoke like all my Ford F series trucks have had all along?

I haven't been under there so I don't know. Haven't had the truck long but it too does a little thump on stopping only if you stop a little suddenly and let the truck jerk back a bit.

Yep that's right, no grease fitting :D

It's really not tough at all to remove, just don't let it hit you in your head when it comes out, I know from experience! Also, be sure to put some spraypaint on each end of the driveshaft so when you put it back on it will still be balanced.

BIGONE, it's real easy to do. You'll need a 12 or 13mm 12 point socket(can't remember the size). It has to be a 12 pnt though. Jack up one rear wheel. Leave it in park and break loose the bolts you can get to and then take them out. Then put it in N and rotate the axel to get to the bolts on the other side. Put it back into P to break loose those. Once they are all loose you can slide one side towards the other and it will come off. If it is stubborn, tap the yoke with a hammer lightly. Be careful, if you don't have leverage it will come down on your hand. That might hurt a little.:eek:

This is a pretty common problem. I think that it is either the driveshaft slip yoke or the tranny mount itself. The stock mounts actually have alot of play in them, about 3/4 to 1 inch of movement. I replaced my tranny mount with a poly one from energy suspension, but you have to customize your tranny crossmember to do it. Since I have done that though, there isn't the slightest amount of thumping.

Originally posted by Diff Whack Daddy
This is a pretty common problem. I think that it is either the driveshaft slip yoke or the tranny mount itself. The stock mounts actually have alot of play in them, about 3/4 to 1 inch of movement. I replaced my tranny mount with a poly one from energy suspension, but you have to customize your tranny crossmember to do it. Since I have done that though, there isn't the slightest amount of thumping.

About a yr after I bought my truck I found that the tranny crossmember bolts didn't have any nut's on them. So, the tranny had been jumping around under there...that was nice.:frustrate

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back