• Register Today It's free!

Thumps and vibrations......

CNY2004EB

Reaction score
City, State
Syracuse, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Eddie Bauer
I recently purchased a 2004 Explorer, Eddie Bauer, 4x4, 4.6L V8, 3.73 Non limited slip rear end, Towing Package, Advance Trac, Aux Rear AC, moon roof, loaded with everything but quad bucket seating. It only has 690 miles on it. OEM tires are the P245/65R17 BFGoodrich Rugged Trail T/A.

I'm a gear head, worked on cars all my life and enjoy my career as a mechanical engineer. Thumps and vibrations bother me unless I know where they're coming from.

I have 2 issues, perceived tire or driveline vibration and a thump in the driveline when backing up with the front wheels turned.

I'm new to 4x4 vehicles after stepping out of my '99 F150 XLT Ext cab, SB, 4x2, 4.6L. My F150 ran great, nice and smooth on the highway. This Explorer at certain speeds between 45 and 70 runs just as smooth as my F150 but at others vibrates enough for me to think something is not quite right. At about 48 and 65 it has a regular vibration that makes the vehicle and headliner vibrate enough to skip the DVD. Slow down or speed up a few MPH and it goes away. Sounds like the tires are out of balance so I brought it to the dealer who test drove it for 11 miles with the tech and Service Manager. They told me it was totally normal for an Explorer and refused to remove a tire and check the balance. I need to drive another Explorer and check for my self. They would have spent less time pulling a tire and checking it but that is for another thread. Has anyone else experienced a similar vibration with these tires (listed above)?

The thump in reverse only occurs with the wheels turned at least half of the available travel and I also have to apply the gas. As I apply the gas to back up the thump occurs. I believe this to be lash in the drive train associated with the 4x4 system and the fact that the tires are turning at different speeds on sharp turns. I'm looking for some 4x4 insight on this one to make me feel a little better.

Thanks to all.
CNY2004EB

Back