HGWalther

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Neustadt am R�benberge, Germany
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Highclass (Europe)
Hi,

I am Hans from Germany. I own a 1998 Ford Explorer V6 (4.0 SOHC, 205 hp) and I have this problem:

After stopping the warm engine for about 5 minutes and re-starting it I can hear a silent ticking noise for about 10 seconds.
Are the hydraulic valve tappets causing this noise?
It this a big problem or can I ignore it?
Will this be an expansive repair?

Thanks for any advice.
Best Regards,
Hans
Germany

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. First thing to do is do a search looking for "00M12". It sounds like your camshaft tensioners. Here in the US they are covered for 7 years 100K miles (just got the letter from Ford today for 01M01). If you do a search for 00M12, you will find several threads regarding the problem, one thread of which I posted my letter from Ford. Ford usually classifies the problem as a problem that only occurs when the engine is started cold. However, mine did it whenever I restarted my already warmed up engine just like yours. Once they replaced my tensioners the noise was gone. I don't think Ford Germany has to adhere to the recalls here in the US but it might at least give you some amunition.

Finally, try going to www.ownerconnection.com and register you VIN. It will tell you if you have any outstanding recalls (look particularly for 01M01). If it says your is elegible, print it out and take it to your dealer.

I got that letter today too!

Thanks!

@Robert,

thank your very much for your hint.

In Germany we have indeed the additional problem that the US recalls and warranties are not automatically german recalls and warranties. So I have to check it out.

Thanks again for the "amunition".

Kind Regards,
Hans, Germany

Update: Repair for free

Update:

Indeed Ford Germany is already repairing the camshaft tensioner on all affected Explorers free of charge.

My Explorer was already listed and the parts were already ordered by my dealer´s garage.

I had no idea about the efforts that are being made by Ford regarding my car and regarding customer care.

Thanks to you again for your hints and thanks to Ford Germany for their service :)

Best Reagrds,
Hans-Georg Walther,
Germany

Back