tips and tricks for spark plugs and wire replacement on 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tips and tricks for spark plugs and wire replacement on 5.0

Rich-

Reaction score
City, State
Sioux Falls SD
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 EB
152k miles on stock plugs and wires.
I got the plugs and wires, and plan on sucking a can of seafoam through first, just wondering if there is anything that makes the job a PITA?

any tips?

when i search i get tons of v6 stuff, and only one goo thread on the PCV seafoam trick

any help is appreciated
its a 99 AWD EB if it matters

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Take the tires off and splash guard and use extensions and swivel heads.

Only thing that sucks is sometimes the plugs seize in the head on 5.0L.

thanks, since i have the wheels and splash guards out, is there anything else i should do while i am tearing into it?

and i will be sure to lube them up with anti-seize on the threads and grease on the wire end

spray WD-40 around the plugs and let it penitrate around the threads of each plug and lots of patients.

Thanks, i am a little worried that 152k miles and they have never been out,
i did pull one the other day, (easy one on the drivers side) and this is what i found
plug2.jpg

plug.jpg

an it was just finger tight (pretty much)
i hope they all come out easy,
maybe ill pull the wheels off, and spray them good and let them sit for a few days lube them a few times (just because) i dont need the truck until fall really, so its no big hurry, just want stuff to go smoothly

Mine where so rusted that broke off one after another (the top metalic part separated from insulator) - even after I let them soak with PB blaster 30 minutes.
My gap was similar - that's why I choose iridium ones this time...

well i just put the front end on jack stands and pulled the wheels, i sprayed them with PB, even though the block was clean looking (no crud build up)
ill soak them again in an hour or 2, and then swap them out tomorrow

^

Go in through the wheel well. Make sure the vehicle is warm (not hot) when you remove them. It expands the threads a little and should make them easier to remove.

Seafoam is always a good idea to use right before new plugs.

got them all out with ease, need to run to the store and pick up some anti-seize
and then fiddle with running the new wires,

Back