Tire size and gearing opinions wanted. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tire size and gearing opinions wanted.

DaaQ

Reaction score
City, State
South KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4x4
Hi all. I can get a good deal on BFG ko2 275/70/17 tires or go a little cheaper but its not much cheaper for General grabber at2 265/70/17. I have LS 3.73 stock gears in my ex. Would the size difference effect it very much I know the overall diameter of the tires are an inch or two max. But I can't change the gears right now to 4.10s
So in your guy's opinions this shouldn't rob too much power correct? 4.0 BTW. With 2" body lift and BTF spacers/UCAs.
Thanks , Jim

I'm running 265/70/17 on my 4.0 with 3.55 and it's pretty damn slow. It gets everywhere I need it to go still but it isn't very quick to accelerate. I usually have to put the gas pedal to the floor when merging onto the freeway.

I'm running 265/70/17 on my 4.0 with 3.55 and it's pretty damn slow. It gets everywhere I need it to go still but it isn't very quick to accelerate. I usually have to put the gas pedal to the floor when merging onto the freeway.

Hmm, glad I have the 3.73, throws you back pretty good from a stop, even chirping the tires. I can just imagine how much better a 4.11 or 4.56 would be.

Might swap someday if I ever have to rebuild the front and rear at the same time.

RPM's are so low in overdrive it's always shifting out of OD at every hill, going a lower ratio should help it stay in OD up hills.

Back