To Weld or Clamp the Exhaust or Both? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

To Weld or Clamp the Exhaust or Both?

scud

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac
Hi all - I'll be installing my exhaust myself and was curious to hear opinions about clamping vs. welding vs. doing both.

I was planning to use slip on style attachments at all the joints.

1 joint where the old pipe and new pipe meet after the cat. 1 joint where the new pipe meets the muffler. 1 joint where the dump pipe meets the back of the muffler.

So, 3 joints total on the system. The pic below is the type of connector I was planning to use. They are opened up enough at each end to allow a 2.5" pipe (for example) to slide halfway into it...connecting the two pipes.

My thought is that I have three options: 1 - slip all the pipes together, use an RTV type exhaust sealant and clamp the joints. 2 - slip all the pipes together and weld/braze the edges at the end of each overlap. 3 - slip all the pipes together, clamp the joints and weld/braze the edges.

Thanks for your feedback!

scud

WLK-41940_xl_zps88a42b53.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Naturally, welding is the better choice if you can..but, if you clamp, and maybe stick a couple tack welds it will be fine. Just be sure to use decent clamps, pay the extra 2 bucks lol

Naturally, welding is the better choice if you can..but, if you clamp, and maybe stick a couple tack welds it will be fine. Just be sure to use decent clamps, pay the extra 2 bucks lol

yeah, that's what I was thinking too.

so far, I'm thinking RTV sealant to help with leaks, clamps for hold, tack welds for additional hold...call it done. I'd be oxy/acety welding...as that is my style/method of choice. When I get into it, I may just decide to go all the way around the pipe, but don't want to weaken any of the material...

clamps vary. I'm assuming the u-bolt style are the cheaper of the bunch...and the band style would be considered better quality, but it would almost seem like the u-bolt style would be able to be torqued more to create a tighter seal...

Capture_zps0466e6db.png

Rtv will burn off..no matter what the heat range says...exhaust sealant works though

Use muffler sealant and HD U clamp. Welding starts the pipe oxidizing so only do that as a last resort.

Rtv will burn off..no matter what the heat range says...exhaust sealant works though

Use muffler sealant and HD U clamp. Welding starts the pipe oxidizing so only do that as a last resort.

muffler/exhaust sealant it is then.

I was planning to paint everything after welding to protect from oxidation...but this is good info, thanks guys!

Back