Tomorrow its off to the shop

thewishkah

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 explorer xlt
Ok tomorrow its off to the shop for upper/lower ball joints, radius amr bushings, possibly radius arms if they are in bad shape from the almost non existint bushings , and a water pump what do you all think i should be paying for everything + labor? its a 94 xlt 4x4 and its making some nasty clunks and bangs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If i remember correctly, Upper & Lower Ball Joints on my 96 ran about $600 +/-, but we done at different times. Add the water pump and others and you're likely around $1,000...

thats what i was affraid of lol

Whatever you do, don't go to dobbs, they will scew you. I did mine myself and they ran around 250-300 for parts. I have heard that sears is pretty cheap on labor for that kinda stuff.

The upper BJs are a snap (on my 96 though, not sure about your 94). Save the $200 labor and do the uppers yourself. I couldn't press the new balljoints into the lower control arms and had to have the lowers done ($150 ea). The uppers are about the same cost to have done - less labor, more part price. Don't forget the alignment.

Back