Torque Converter Still NOT SEATING properly | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torque Converter Still NOT SEATING properly

Daisywheels

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT XP SOHC V6
I pulled it off just to start fresh. I spun it awhile, and it seated the first step of the process. Pilot shaft still sticking out a bit beyond bell-housing.

What could I be missing:

1. Transmission is in Park, Does that matter VS Neutral?

2. The tranny isn't being held up by any jack, thought I would get to that when I do the actual mating to new motor. Is that a problem? The angle of the tranny?

3) For safety reasons, I put the truck's wheels back on and jacked the front wheels up on ramps. I can get both hands on the TQ now from underneath, but something isn't going right. Spin Clockwise, correct, or does it matter?

4) I wiggled, pushed up and down and sideways (gently) while spinning for final seating. Do I need any lubricant?

Frustrated as heck. Anybody have any ideas? Thanks! -DW

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Daisy do you have the input shaft in the right way? It will go in both ways but only one is correct. Also do you have the correct torque converter?

Now is the time to use some force...

It shouldn't matter if the tranny is in Park or not...The nose of the torque convertor needs to be lifted a bit while you are rotating and pushing it into the front pump...If you have it out check to make certain the tangs for the pump are not damaged or broken and stopping it from completely seating... You will need to try to center the convertor which will require some force lifting it up to get it to seat into the pump...It is easier to do from up top but it can be done from underneath...Try using a flat edge pry bar while rotating it and see if it will seat that way...

Daisy do you have the input shaft in the right way? It will go in both ways but only one is correct. Also do you have the correct torque converter?

Drdoom, yes it is the same TQ I had. I'm just doing an engine swap. The guy helping me decided to pull TQ and put it on new motor, then do the mating. I knew this was wrong, but didn't get there in time to tell him. -DW

It shouldn't matter if the tranny is in Park or not...The nose of the torque convertor needs to be lifted a bit while you are rotating and pushing it into the front pump...If you have it out check to make certain the tangs for the pump are not damaged or broken and stopping it from completely seating... You will need to try to center the convertor which will require some force lifting it up to get it to seat into the pump...It is easier to do from up top but it can be done from underneath...Try using a flat edge pry bar while rotating it and see if it will seat that way...

Now I'm wondering if the guy who pulled the engine may have actually damaged the pump. We will see.

Are you suggesting pushing the pry bar up from the bottom of the TQ while spinning? If so, I haven't tried that that. Thanks - DW

Oh my...

Drdoom, yes it is the same TQ I had. I'm just doing an engine swap. The guy helping me decided to pull TQ and put it on new motor, then do the mating. I knew this was wrong, but didn't get there in time to tell him. -DW

If this was attempted I am not sure where to go from here...Did someone REALLY try to install the engine with the torque convertor attached to the engine flexplate? If so I would bet the front pump or convertor or both are damaged to the point of needing replacement...

DW i am really sorry to hear that...I would not try to mate the two at this point... I know it is a major problem but I would replace the convertor and the front pump...I don't believe they will ever mate up with the damage you can't see inside the pump...

it would be very difficult to engage the converter with it bolted to the flexplate

remove the converter and engine it in the trans first then try to mate it up

if it binds then you've probably damaged the pump and the hub of the converter

If this was attempted I am not sure where to go from here...Did someone REALLY try to install the engine with the torque convertor attached to the engine flexplate? If so I would bet the front pump or convertor or both are damaged to the point of needing replacement...

DW i am really sorry to hear that...I would not try to mate the two at this point... I know it is a major problem but I would replace the convertor and the front pump...I don't believe they will ever mate up with the damage you can't see inside the pump...

ranger7ltr, YES, someone REALLY tried to install the engine with the torque convertor attached to the engine flexplate. I don't know why. He supposedly knew Fords, and I had him raise the motor and remove the TQ as soon as I knew.

If the damage is done, it's done. The tranny was Iffy at best, and I often thought of removing it any ways to inspect, and also just get the motor back together. I'm leaning towards doing that. This has been a two year nightmare, and right now I just want see if the new/used motor even works.

I can always deal with the TQ and tranny later. Yes, more money, but it's more of a hobby to me now. No new problems will surprise me.

Hell, I put a hole in the the #3 piston on the old motor. I'm used to nothing going well :eek:

Additionally, one of the Cats slammed down on a rock when I was "wheelin."
(Thanks Ford for the skid plate) Very likely that needs replaced too, and I live in CA. See, can it get much worse? Again, treating this an expensive hobby to remain sane.

Back