Torsion Bars?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
Has anyone ever had to replace their Torsion Bars or do they last the life of the vehicle? I have about 145k mi on my Sport and despite the fact that my front end is pretty much new in terms of shocks, ball joints, sway bar bushings and links it still makes a clacky type noise on smaller bumps that really work the shocks.

I also get a howling noise when going over speed bumps slowly. Steering Performance is good and the front end feels tight. I know if the truck had springs they would have needed to have been replaced by now, so why not the torsion bars?

I am not sure if Torsion bars wear out but I am sure they do. How hard is it to replace them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your kevlar pads on the torsion bar keys could be worn down.. And yes actually torsion bars to begin to sag after a while. Mine are starting to sag.

I don't think the pads are worn out but who knows. The torsion bars tight when I grab and pull on them.

The sensation I was describing in the above posts seems as if the tires are not bouncing straight up and down when going over several small road bumps in a row. They feel a bit loose and out of control. I do hear a noise like I have bad shocks or something, but the shocks are brand new.

If the torsion bars are in need of replacement could it be someting other than the torsion key pads? Perhaps the actual torsion bars themselves.

What other parts control the suspension in the front end? I thought it was just the torsion bars and shocks? Were just talking about the parts that absorb bumps in the road.

Clanking noise can come from sway bar end links. Check them.

You are not an off roader; your t bars are most likely fine.

Thanks Al, the sway bar end links are relatively new. I replaced them last year with upgraded Energy suspension units.

You might want to check your lower control arm bushings.

And like Al said, those energy suspension end links can break, it happened to me as well. The large cupped washers are not very high quality steel, and the spacer rod pushed right through one of mine. I solved the problem by replacing the links (again), and adding some stainless steel washers behind the cupped ones.

Will do. I have not been offroading with them but I will give them a look anyway.

What should I be looking for??

A torsion bar, like any other spring, will sag after a while, but I can't think of any time that the bars themselves would make any sort of noise.

If you replaced the t-bar adjusters then you were 95% of the way to replacing the t-bar. But like mentioned earier it is unlikely they need replacing.

I think they do wear out and not just sags.The hex end at the control arm on mine looks worn.I was trying to track down a clunking noise ,put RTV on the end reinstalled the bar and it was queit for ayear.I don't recommend doing that.Just a experiment.

I don't see how the shock alone could take all the bump energy without any assistance from another component.

Something is making a loose type sound and feeling mostly when I go over lots small bumps in rapid succession. Also I hear a creaky metal on metal sound from the front when I go over speed bumps slowly and the front end bounces.

I don't know what else it could be. All other front end components seem tight when tested and appear visible ok.

Could be the lower control arm but I am betting it is the torsion bar insulator pads. The right passenger side seems more bouncey.

Guess I will just have my insulator pads replaced. My torsion bars look like crap after 8yrs of harsh New England winters.

Lazzman said:
Thanks Al, the sway bar end links are relatively new. I replaced them last year with upgraded Energy suspension units.
Double check your sway bar end links. Put a wrench on them and see if you can tighten them up any more. They aren't tight until you bottom out the threads and you can't turn the wrench anymore. It doesn't take much slack to make an obvious clunk.

I recently had an occasional clunk from the front right side of the truck when going over bigger bumps with the steering wheel turned (curbs/speed bumps etc). Everything seemed tight under the truck. I finally decided to see if i could tighten the sway bar end link with a wrench. I was able to tighten the nut about 1/4 of a turn.
No more clunk!!! :)

Thanks, I don't recall tightening them down to the threads. I just guessed at how tight they should be, never recall tightening them down to the end.

Also I installed them with the front end up on jack stands. I believe the truck should have been on level ground.

Hey Lazz. I was browsing around for a solution to what sounds like the same exact problem I'm having. Small bumps making small clunks in the front end. Had the ty rod ends replaced & still clunking & getting worse. Did you find the problem? If so, what was it? The sway bar end links? Thanks!

I just got the Moog tie rod ends. The originals have 150k mi on them so I guess even if it is not the problem it would be beneficial to replace them.

Mike don't forget, your Explorer also has Two inner tie rod ends that could be the problems also.

For some reason last year when I replaced the front shocks, bushings and End links the noise went away for about 2 weeks then came back, don't know why.

The clicky noise in the front sounds & feels like badly worn shocks or struts. I replaced the shocks twice in the last year and still no change. If the Tie Rod ends don't do it I will go to the Torsion Bar pad replacement. I am convinced it is something to do with the suspension.

I have had this persistent problem for at least three years. Replacing the Upper and lower ball joints did not fix it, replacing the shocks did not fix it, replacing the bushings and end link did not fix it, there is not much left to replace. I suppose it could be the wheel bearings or CV joints but that is less common and big bucks to repair.

Anyone who has any info or suggestions we would love to know.

Has any one checked the control arm bushings. These are the bushings at the inside of the control arms where it attaches to the frame. They are on the upper and lower control arms and are often over looked.
I'm not sure about X ones but most can be replaced sometimes you have to buy the whole control arm.

Back