Torsion Bars | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Torsion Bars

BluNite

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 xlt
I received a small front impact that left my driver side lower by 1 inch. Will turning the adjuster have any adverse effect on handling or will it just raise the lowered side? Will replacing the torsion bars correct damage? Do you know what was damaged to cause truck to lean? No visible damage anywhere. Thanks

I would not tighten the lowered side because the handling would go to crap the damaged side would be tight wile the good side would be stock.my suggestion would be to get new torsion bars.

Originally posted by BluNite
I received a small front impact that left my driver side lower by 1 inch. Will turning the adjuster have any adverse effect on handling or will it just raise the lowered side? Will replacing the torsion bars correct damage? Do you know what was damaged to cause truck to lean? No visible damage anywhere. Thanks

Hi BluNite, and welcome to the site.
Well if someone hit you, then their insurance should pay for it. When ever you are hit, no matter how small, you should check it out throughly. If after you had it checked out and everything found to be ok, it might be that the other end, or in your case the high side might need adjusting also. You haven't by any chance adjusted your torsion bars lately, have you? If you had adjusted your torsion bars and didn't bounce them off the curb a few times to get them to settle, then it is possible that when you got hit tha this caused the settling on one side and there fore that lower side should be adjusted.
If you could give us some more information, this would help, also in the future it would help us alot if you told us the type and year and anyother information you could furnish about your truck and problem.

Back