Tow/Haul mode seems to give horrible gas mileage?! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tow/Haul mode seems to give horrible gas mileage?!

a 5 speed standard is optimum. Direct connection between the engine and transmission. No torque converter spinning and slipping heating up, thinning fluid, and waisting energy. Far more control too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, tow mode losses a lot of mpg. I tow a 2015 Jayco popup at around 2500 lbs loaded and only use the tow mode for the mountain roads. Highway I turn it off. The Sport has plenty of power to haul the weight from a stand still or changing lanes without the higher shift points.

I doubt running in the tow mode costs much in the way of MPG, but actually towing something certainly does.

Based everything I’ve read in this post, I shouldn't run the tow mode unless I’m hauling a 2000lb load or more correct? Our 2012 base explorer came with the tow package, which I didn’t want as we never tow anything until now. Bought a small catamaran ( CraigCat ) with trailer total Wt.850lbs. Based on what I’ve read, I should try it without tow mode. Does anyone know besides the transmission control, does the tow mode change or control anything else?

From your Owner's Manual.

D (Drive) with Tow on
The tow feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or a heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using tow.
Tow can be activated by pressing the TOW switch located on the instrument panel by the headlamp control. The TOW/HAUL message will illuminate in the instrument cluster.
The tow feature delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting. Tow also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D (Overdrive) position. This engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade. Depending on driving conditions and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed.
To deactivate the tow feature and return to normal driving mode, press the TOW button. The tow light will no longer be illuminated.
When you shut-off and restart the engine, the transmission will automatically return to normal D (Overdrive) mode (tow off).

Peter

Based everything I’ve read in this post, I shouldn't run the tow mode unless I’m hauling a 2000lb load or more correct? Our 2012 base explorer came with the tow package, which I didn’t want as we never tow anything until now. Bought a small catamaran ( CraigCat ) with trailer total Wt.850lbs. Based on what I’ve read, I should try it without tow mode. Does anyone know besides the transmission control, does the tow mode change or control anything else?
The question isn't should vs should not. The 'rule' is "Do whatever gives you a warm and fuzzy about towing"

Try each mode for a while, and then decide which one you prefer. 850 lbs is less than a full load of passengers, btw.

The question isn't should vs should not. The 'rule' is "Do whatever gives you a warm and fuzzy about towing"

Try each mode for a while, and then decide which one you prefer. 850 lbs is less than a full load of passengers, btw.
Yes, not a lot of wt., I’ve never towed anything and was curious about this feature’s use. I will get a hitch tighter clamp to prevent and stop/go clunking. The CraigCat Catamaran is a light weight haul.

We just purchased a 5x8 enclosed trailer and decided it would be best to use tow/haul mode even though the trailer was basically empty. I am guess the total weight is less than 1000 lbs. We drove about 300 miles or so and have noticed that our gas mileage was must worse than we thought it might be, only getting about 10.5 mpg driving entirely on the highway going about 65-70mph. Normally we get about 16.

The RPMS stay about 3000 the entire way, if we turn off tow mode, they drop to 2000. I suspect this is the intended behavior be sheesh, what a hit in gas mileage.

Any thoughts?
The higher rpm will majorly impact the gas mileage and you really should be able to tow a trailer that size/ wt. without having to use tow/ haul mode. I used a 2020 F150 in tow/haul ( 5 litre engine ) to pull a loaded u-haul car trailer ( 6000 ) and got 16 MPG hwy.

The higher rpm will majorly impact the gas mileage and you really should be able to tow a trailer that size/ wt. without having to use tow/ haul mode. I used a 2020 F150 in tow/haul ( 5 litre engine ) to pull a loaded u-haul car trailer ( 6000 ) and got 16 MPG hwy.
The member you quoted was last seen here on May 11, 2021, so likely isn't following any longer. The tow/haul mode should be used as it incorporates a variety of useful items to help control the vehicle. That's why it's there.

Peter

The member you quoted was last seen here on May 11, 2021, so likely isn't following any longer. The tow/haul mode should be used as it incorporates a variety of useful items to help control the vehicle. That's why it's there.

Peter
Just got a message today from a dude who last posted in 2010 - apparently some people are LONG time members.

Just got a message today from a dude who last posted in 2010 - apparently some people are LONG time members.
Yes, there probably are. This is a very popular site.

Peter

Back