tow hooks w/ safari bar

TarHeel085

And den
Reaction score
City, State
Raleigh, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport 4wd
is there any way to put tow hooks on the front of my X with a westin safari bar? if it will help i have pics of the bar from the front. cause i was readin the paragon thing and they said i needed front and rear tow hooks to get past level 1. also anyone with a 98+ sport. do you have a single little eyelet in the rear under the bumper, a sort of tow hook. cause ive seen many of them with it, mine doesnt seem to have one. and ill prob never know since i got a hitch, will i pland to take off as soon as possible. I HATE IT, my parents made me put it on :fire:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You hate your hitch??? You do realize that it protects your bumper from bending and damage and doubles as a rear towpoint?

As for the front you can do what I did and drill holes in the brackettry for your bar thing to put the bolts for your tow hooks in.

well ya know its not a hidden hitch, which is what i wanted so i might take it off and get one of those. and i just look under there, even if i could frame mount one the front bumper would block it. i hope someone else with a 99 can help out.

Ah I see what you mean now. The '99 and up front bumpers are real boogers to work with towhooks. Sorry about that man. You could always make a bracket to move the hooks where you need them but it would make them a bit weaker. I know what you mean about the hitch. I have a big ugly one too. But hopefully by Christmas I will have a custom rear bumper with a hitch built in.

Yeah good christmas gift there seeing as how much $$$ they are. Another thing, you can buy a tow hook to plug in your hitch for like 15 bucks from like advance auto or something. They look great and are really functional too.

i think ive found my solution, im gonna see if i can get a front mountd trailer hitch, like Blue Steel has. whats good about it is, hes got a grill guard, some if he can do it, so can i. (I HOPE!) :D

heh heh. i guarantee you that you won't be sorry. that front hitch is sweet. i used the "stretch" of the tow strap to yank people out a couple times. you can also buy a winch bracket in where you put a winch on the front trailer hitch if you ever want a winch. i think that's kinda nice if you don't want to keep your winch on your truck (just one more thing to get taken) for my brush guard i had to take the whole brush guard and brackets off in order to install the hitch. after the hitch was in then i could install the brush guard brackets and brush guard back again. let me know if you need any info.

hey curtis.. yeah man i know what you mean about the hooks being hidden by our bumper. i am going to try to build something soon to put the hooks more to the middle, shouldn't be really hard although it will loose some strength. i'll let you know if i get something to work.
i like the front hitch too, but i was going to try my version for free first. if it doesn't work, i'm definately getting one of them. if you really want one of the loopy hook things for the back of your x instead of the trailer hitch, i've got mine sitting in a closet collecting dust. i took it off in order to install my hitch.

Have you guys considered just pulling the whole valance (fog lights and all) off the bumper? Or is it just one big piece? I did it on mine and it greatly increased ground clearance. Plus, once your truck gets tall enough, fog lights are useless anyway.

curtis.. don't go buy a loop thing, you can have mine. its been sitting in a corner with its bolts for about a year and a half now. hell, its not even in my house, its still at a friends apartment where i used to live for a while. i'll get him to bring it by my house next time and you can have it. if you'll cover shipping, its yours.
jason_25... yeah i thought about taking that off, but i like its looks and i don't wheel enough yet for it to make a big difference. it may come off oneday though. i didn't look to see if it was one big piece or not.

Back