TPMS sensor frequency choice steel rims US 2014 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

TPMS sensor frequency choice steel rims US 2014 XLT

runningonfords

Reaction score
City, State
Detroit, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT RRM
I've bought 4 used wheels (steel) for my first dedicated set of winter tires this year. 2014 XLT. My vehicle has the TPMS sensors, but I'm not sure which frequency, 315 or 433 MHz. I am in the US and all 4 used rims had various brands of 315 MHz sensors. What sensor type should I buy? Is there any way to tell in forscan, etc the frequency that's currently installed? I'm guessing that it's probably 315. Thoughts? I'd like to not pay the tire man for sensors and programming if possible. Thanks all. Any good links are appreciated also!

I believe they are all 315 Mhz. Are the ones in the used wheels not working? Sites that sell OEM parts should show which ones fit your XLT.

Peter

I just replaced my TPMS sensors on my '14 XLT, US model when I got new tires. 315MHz, I got Denso pre-programmed off Rock Auto. Installer had a programming fee of $3 each but either waived it because they were pre-programmed, or subtracted the new valve stem fee since they come with new stems, so $0 install and relearn to sync them.

There's also the option of getting the original sensor ID's cloned to new sensors, and that way, every time you swap the winter wheels/tires on and off, you don't have to do a relearn procedure. That might mean a one time fee to clone them with a capable tool but then no more having to relearn them every time you swap wheels again. The clone capable are at the bottom of those on the following link. I don't know much more about them since I was not needing to add in a 2nd set of wheels, just replace my originals with what I linked above:

Thank you both for the info. I was going to wait and take the sensors in, but when I noticed I was missing 1 on the steel wheels I bought I decided to just buy all new ones and install them before I get tires. I bought the TPMS19 button tool as well. Here's hoping all goes well once I get the Blizzaks installed. Thanks again.

Back