tps plug found stripped wires | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tps plug found stripped wires

I’m guessing they are all prone to it, and areas with high temperature, or temperature swing are more likely to develop issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey MasterTech808, could that be my very intermittent Transmission issue?

when cold if I drive about 1 mile and stop at a light, the tranny will go into N or seem to. Sometimes I can give it gas and it will slam into D but most times have to go to N and back to D for it to go into gear. I was leaning to valve body but after reading your comment, I'm wondering...

Greetings. Sorry to jump in here, but does this deteriorating wiring harness issue apply to the 4.6L V8 engine as well or is this an issue specifically for the 4.0L V6? Thanks much.
I have an 06 4.6 and the only thing I have seen so far is the two wire plug for the alternator had that problem. Battery light would come on every once in a while. When I pulled it off I found the insulation getting brittle and fixed it.

when cold if I drive about 1 mile and stop at a light, the tranny will go into N or seem to. Sometimes I can give it gas and it will slam into D but most times have to go to N and back to D for it to go into gear. I was leaning to valve body but after reading your comment, I'm wondering...
Sounds like an internal transmission issue.

1) V6 or V8? 2) Do you have reverse? 3) Getting the wrench light?
- If 1 is V6 and 2 is no, then you probably have a failing tranny.
- If 1 is V6 and 2 is yes and 3 is yes, then it would be worth investigating.

Primary places to check: TPS, MAF, Distributor, Fan. Just look at the wiring from the plug to the harness shield and see if the insulation is missing.

1) V6 or V8? 2) Do you have reverse? 3) Getting the wrench light?
- If 1 is V6 and 2 is no, then you probably have a failing tranny.
- If 1 is V6 and 2 is yes and 3 is yes, then it would be worth investigating.

Primary places to check: TPS, MAF, Distributor, Fan. Just look at the wiring from the plug to the harness shield and see if the insulation is missing.
Distributor? A failing transmission will often set the warning light.

Unplug the wiring harness connector on the throttle position sensor. Unbolt the sensor from the intake or throttle body, using the appropriate socket. Install the new throttle position sensor and tighten the bolts firmly. Plug in the wiring harness connector if you are not going to change it.

Greetings. Sorry to jump in here, but does this deteriorating wiring harness issue apply to the 4.6L V8 engine as well or is this an issue specifically for the 4.0L V6? Thanks much.
My 06 Premier 4.0 Was sold and stayed in Dallas Tx until the day i bought it and it has this issue if that helps. I caught most of it when i did the timing chains so i have not had a issue from it. Truck has 190 some odd thousand on it.

That looks like the main harness with the computer connecters on it. All i did to mine was remove the covering until i got to good wire the chopped the end off covered in heat shrink added new pig tails the ones i could find soldered heat shrunk those then wrapped in tape. Easier than a whole harness. Cheaper to it seems.

Very relevant post! Thanks for brining this to our attention.

After reading the many opinions and theories on the cause of the missing wire insulation, I sided with the "someone stripped them but did not reinsulate them" camp. This prompted me to examine the underhood of my own '09, 4.0L SOHC with 303K leadfooted miles.

Upon initial inspection of the MAF plug, I did not see any bare wires. However, after I slid back the end of the wire loom, I could plainly see four bare wires with brittle, crumbling insulation and a small amount of turquoise corrosion.. Arrrgh!

It appears, at least on the surface, that the insulation in many places is dry and brittle and the vibration and movement of the loom wore away the insulation.

After I replace the PCV harness with its crumbling, brittle vacuum hoses (#6L2Z-9E498-A) I'll get to work with a roll of Scotch electrical tape on the bare wires.

Mine is a 4.6 V8. It runs like a champ no other issues besides the Tranny.

I was having reverse issues (slamming, slipping) until I started changing the fluid regularly. Highly recommend that.

I replaced the solenoid pack and more of the tranny issues went away. I was under the assumption that the temp control valve in the Valve body was my problem.

The tranny was supposed to have been rebuilt at 75K but I know they didn't replace these 2 components.

Can’t believe it’s still being debated. It’s bad factory wiring. Period. No mice. No stripping. No previous owners work.

Can’t believe it’s still being debated. It’s bad factory wiring. Period. No mice. No stripping. No previous owners work.
I have to side with this because I have one in my drive way that was bone stock untouched one owner and saw this in multiple spots. Even a pic of it in profile or pictures wherever. Wonder if there was ever a recall we could dig up some place on the web!?!

I have to side with this because I have one in my drive way that was bone stock untouched one owner and saw this in multiple spots. Even a pic of it in profile or pictures wherever. Wonder if there was ever a recall we could dig up some place on the web!?!
It’s not a recall.

I guess it would not be seeing as it would not have been a issue until long after those trucks where well out of production.

Not even a service bulletin. I called Ford!

Had some Electronic Throttle Body issues that were throwing codes and causing the truck to run rough. I started checking around the TPS and found I had the exact same damage on this plug on my '07 trac as OP. It's stress fatigue on that harness where the bend is. I taped all the wires and re-routed the harness there to remove the bend and it's been running fine since after doing a full throttle re-learn.

After sending my car to the shop with multiple codes (MAF, EGR, Fuel and random misfire), they found multiple spots that had the insulation missing on the wires.

So I did a search and found this thread, and the picture from the OP looks almost identical on mine. Found the exposed wires at the MAF connector and at the fan connector as well. Still searching but I have hope that this is the culprit of my stalling and random misfire issue!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back