Trailer Brake Controller, have to 'flash' the vehicle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer Brake Controller, have to 'flash' the vehicle?

jamesg51

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
2023 XLT
I have a 2023 Explorer with tow package. I went to an RV store to purchase an aftermarket brake controller; however, they said that it couldn't be installed without the computer being 'flashed' by the dealership.

I've called the dealership service department, but they weren't tracking what was meant by 'flashed'.

I can't seem to post attachments, but the 2023 Ford Explorer Towing Selector .pdf mentions compatible after-market trailer brake controllers; however, it doesn't list what controllers are compatible.

Does anyone have any feedback as to what brake controller will work? Can I trust the e-trailer recommendations?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2023 Explorer with tow package. I went to an RV store to purchase an aftermarket brake controller; however, they said that it couldn't be installed without the computer being 'flashed' by the dealership.

I've called the dealership service department, but they weren't tracking what was meant by 'flashed'.

I can't seem to post attachments, but the 2023 Ford Explorer Towing Selector .pdf mentions compatible after-market trailer brake controllers; however, it doesn't list what controllers are compatible.

Does anyone have any feedback as to what brake controller will work? Can I trust the e-trailer recommendations?
If you have the Trailer Tow package, installing the brake controller is literally "plug and play" although reaching the socket under the dash to plug in to takes a bit of contortion. There are jumper cables for most controllers that connect between the brake controller and the designated socket..

Welcome to the Forum James. :wave:
I don't recall ever reading about having to "flash the vehicle" in any other posts regrading adding a controller.

Peter

I've installed Redarc brake controllers in a 2021 and a 2023 Explorer with the trailer tow package, plug and play. Purchased from e-trailer.com, they provide the proper interface cable. The electrical port is on the right side high on the steering column just below the air bag under the plastic cover, also a dummy plug has to be removed.

Back