Trailer lights to 98 explorer please help fast!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trailer lights to 98 explorer please help fast!!

rainbow9

Reaction score
City, State
avon new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 xlt
Hi again guys I have a 98 ford explorer and need to connect the trailer lights for my boat trailer today. It is a 4 way plug wire. I have the turn signals working perfectly. I cannot get the running lights and brake lights to work at the same time?

I can connect the running lights to the brown wire on the truck and they work great with the turn signal also.

I can connect the brake lights to the green wire on the truck and brake lights work great and turn signals.

How can I get the running lights and brake lights working together?

The accessory harness is corroded and un useable to I am wiring directly to the truck brake, turn signals, running lights.

I had this set up working perfectly but am replacing the whole wire sytem and lights on the trailer. Yes the grounds are connected well on the truck and trailer.

I am getting close..please help..Thanks

i know you said the grounds are connected but that sounds like a grounding problem for me.
Double check the grounds are good and clean and try it again.

Thanks!! found 2 bad fuses in the side consul fuse box(trailer relay leftandright) by the drivers door. Then the accessory wiring for the trailer relays worked!! hooked the brake and blinker yellow green there and brown spliced into the main brown wire to the running light left side.The hot lead on the trailer harness wire has no voltage?? but the green/yellow are good?? All set!!

Also make sure you check the mounting brackets on the red trailer lights. Found the licesne plate side bolts not grounding properly, retighten and came on!!

Again this was a direct splice to all leads no harness. working perfectly now;)

Back