Tranny overhaul after 15,000 miles? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny overhaul after 15,000 miles?

rjcaligan

Reaction score
I own a 95 Explorer Eddie Bauer, 4.0L V6. All city/highway driving, no off-roading (family-type driving). I've read a lot on here about the infamous A4LD and I hope I don't have one. Actually, I really don't know since I'm getting two different answers from different shops. Do I have the A4LD or the 4R44E?

In either case, I'm looking at my second tranny rebuild since I bought it used in 1998 (40K miles).

First rebuild (45,653 miles):
Problem: OD OFF light blinks. Engine revs up to 3000 RPM before shifting from first to second.
Solution: Rebuilt torque converter, replaced OD drum and OD planetary.
Cost: $1600

15,000 miles later...
Problem: OD OFF light blinks--code 8 (4th gear ratio). OD does not engage at high speed (50-70 mph).
Diagnosis: Bad servo piston.
Estimate: $850-$1200

Am I being snowed? Is there anything I can do to make these transmissions last longer? External cooler? Synthetic fluid? Thanks!

------------------
Roy
1995 Explorer Eddie Bauer
4.0L 2WD/4WD

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Two transmission rebuilds in 60,000 miles? Not good. I would seriously question the quality of work performed on the first rebuild. Although it is very possible that it's just plain bad luck. Sometimes things like that happen. But, just to be safe, I would take it to a shop that offers lifetime warrantee like AAMCO. You may pay more up front but you never have to worry about it again.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

Roy,

Ouch, you're scaring me. I have a 95 XLT and my torque converter was replaced at 36K by the previous owner. About 4K miles ago my O/D Off light starting blinking so I just reset the computer and it's worked fine since.

Anyway, to answer your question(s). 1) you have the 4R44E(2WD) or 4R55E(4WD) tranny. It is supposed to be better than the A4LD, but I bet you don't believe that...neither would I.
2) You might want to purchase an extended warranty from your tranny shop...or find a different tranny shop that backs up their work with a warranty.

If you get really cheap(like me) you could pull the tranny yourself and bring it to a shop and just pay for the rebuild rather than the removal/installation. You'll earn your savings though. I personally change my fluid/filter on my tranny once a year in an attempt to keep the demons away.

Better wishes for tranny in the future.

Drew

The first overhaul was done at an AAMCO. Unfortunately, there are no AAMCO dealers in my town. The closest would be Dallas (2 1/2 hours away).

After the first overhaul, I did replace the fluid and filter after we moved 1500 miles. Unfortuantely, that didn't prevent my current problem.

About the 4R44E/4R55E....I can select between 2WD/4WD/4WDL. Does this mean I have a 4R55E? (Pardon my ignorance). Thanks!

------------------
Roy
4.0L 2WD/4WD

I've pretty much sold myself on an external tranny cooler. Now for another silly question: is there such a thing as one that is too big? I want to displace as many BTUs possible. Thanks!

------------------
Roy
4.0L 4WD

Roy,
Have you done a search on the history of your vehicle? i am wondering if this vehicle may have been a problem from day 1 and Ford should be paying for this? My dad had a 1991 Taurus that went through 4 transmissions. first at 30K then 45K then 65K then 90K when the car was sold. Thankfully it was a company car, but as I understand they fought it out with ford and ford paid for 3 of the rebuilds. Either that or was your vehicle in a bad accident beofre or had it been beat? ANyway...that won't help your problem. I would use a high quality trans fluid. I use Red line's Synthetic Hi-Temp oil and my trans works excellent. I have 79,000 miles. My Explorer unfortunatly DID tow a pretty heavy trailer by the previous owner, but he always changed the fluid and it seems to have paid off. I have not heard of any 1995 Explorers having transmission problems and wish you best of luck with your vehicle!

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

I haven't done a history review yet, but I plan on it. Everything I've heard so far is that the first tranny overhaul I had done was terrible.

I appreciate the advise on the synthetic fluid. I'll try ANYTHING at this point to make the transmission last longer.

------------------
Roy
4.0L 4WD

Back