Tranny problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Tranny problem

James Brock

Reaction score
Just had the engine replaced at 64K, clogged oiling system. Now am having problems with the automatic transmission. Here are some of the symptoms. First it tends to shift at a higher RPM. At 50-60 mph it goes into overdrive. Try to speed up just a little and it drops back into 3rd gear. Then when it gets up to speed it shifts back to overdrive. When I put the shift lever in the "D" position that keeps it out of overdrive it does the same thing except when trying to speed up a little it drops back into 2nd gear.

When the shift is in the "d" overdrive position and going a nominal 55 mph and slowly speeding up it will drop back to 3rd then to OD and then to 3rd and OD. Back and forth.

I took it back to the shop and changed the oil and claimed it was working correctly, sure!

Have checked for vacuum leaks and do not find any.

This is the wife's SUV and I am in trouble...help...help!

Welcome to the site James. Hopefully we'll be able to answer your question, but need a little more info. What year is your Explorer? When they replaced the engine, what year engine did they use? Have you ever had the transmission flushed? I'm going to assume that the tranny did not do this prior to the engine change. A quick guess would be the tranny is getting faulty info from the engine. One possible fix would be to disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the computer. Then take it out for a drive so the computer will relearn it's settings.

Back