mysticclam

Typo King
Reaction score
City, State
Tacoma, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
Not sure where to post this but...
Is it possible to change the transfer case gears instead of the rear gears?
Could you say change the high ratio from 1 to 1 to 1 to 1.25 or something instead of going up a size in the gears. Seems like you would only have to do the change in one place. Ive been searching and I cant find out what transfer case I have let alone whether its possible to change the gear ratio in one.
Also, could you use a transmission with lower gears? Is there a reason the gears in the diffs would be more beneficial?

Im really hoping this isnt too dumb of a question :(

Ive got a 91 with the autoshift, is that a borg warner?

diffs is easier... and no one makes internal gears for the application you are htinking of. you can get a differnt tranny and a different transfercase... but why? why would you not want to change the rear end gears?

Im not against do gears (or in my case having someone else do them :) ), i was just wondering if it could be done the other way. What led to that line of thinking was I was reading about the new atlas case and how it will have different low gear ratios available and I was curious as to if you can change the high gear ratio as well. Seemed like if you were in to the transfer case to do the low range you could just change it and not touch the diffs. Honestly, i dont know how they work at all and wasnt sure there was even a way to change it.
As for tranny gears, seems like you could have 1-3 lower for city starts and leave 4-5 alone for highway mileage

Back