Transmission Issue with Reverse and roll in Park | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Issue with Reverse and roll in Park

Billy Dunwoody

Reaction score
City, State
Culver City, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer XLT
2020 Explorer with 17k miles. Transmission today decided to not want to reverse. The backup camera came on but it wouldn’t reverse. Shut the car off turned it back on and it seemed to be normal again but then when we put it in park, it would roll as if the brake didn’t engage. No lights, no leaks. Cooler was replaced during a leak 7 months ago. Any insight?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

@Billy Dunwoody

Seriously - sounds like a problem.

Especially the part about the transmissions' internal parking "pawl" not engaging and locking up the transmission when you shift into PARK.

I wouldn't waste time - bring it in ASAP to get written up and inspected.

Make sure that the Service Writer completely writes up BOTH conditions on the service form - so you have complete documentation to cover your butt.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out -

@Billy Dunwoody

Seriously - sounds like a problem.

Especially the part about the transmissions' internal parking "pawl" not engaging and locking up the transmission when you shift into PARK.

I wouldn't waste time - bring it in ASAP to get written up and inspected.

Make sure that the Service Writer completely writes up BOTH conditions on the service form - so you have complete documentation to cover your butt.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out -
Managed to get the car to the Ford dealer and park it in the service bay so they can hopefully look at it in the morning. Car drives fine in Drive, but doesn’t recognize park or reverse and throws 2 codes: P07E4 and P288B. I had the cooler replaced and a software update already for this transmission because 2 seperate times it was having shifting and leaking problems before this. Hopefully it doesnt need a rebuild or replacement

Update: Ford said it was a park brake solenoid and “other parts”. Also said they were doing the TSB for the main valve body but parts are on backorder. Seeing as all the other problems I had, the car will be in the shop over 30 days and per CA law qualifies for a lemon. I have an attorney helping as I will be going after Ford for penalties for the lack of rental provided and sheer amount of problems this car has had and them knowing about issues from other owners and not fixing them. Don’t know if I will be getting another Ford

Jeez, sorry to hear. Approaching 4100 miles on my 20 XLT. Trans is definitely an issue from day 1. But fortunately for me, i didn't have those serious issues. Just the really unsmooth shifting and characteristics that come with a normal commute on a daily basis. It's almost embarrassing to even want to carry passengers.

I already decided i'm not getting another explorer, not even an ST.

What i am considering though, is the mach-e GT. It's either that or a tesla 3 performance. I know it's forbidden to even mention that in any car forum but there is no doubt that's the future. And since my lease is up in 2 years, i know battery tech, charge times and cost to recharge will all improve.

Plus being able to do 0-60 in 3 seconds in your daily commute must be a lot of fun. I can't wait to speed past a lot of the annoying drivers i encounter in my commute every single day! lol

@Billy Dunwoody

Thanks for the update!

Good luck and godspeed as you lawyer up and journey through the PRK Lemon Law Process.

Please continue to update the thread and give us your valuable insights regarding the whole Lemon Law procedure!

Your experience will help others, and in return you will get good karma points ;)

Update: Ford said it was a park brake solenoid and “other parts”. Also said they were doing the TSB for the main valve body but parts are on backorder. Seeing as all the other problems I had, the car will be in the shop over 30 days and per CA law qualifies for a lemon. I have an attorney helping as I will be going after Ford for penalties for the lack of rental provided and sheer amount of problems this car has had and them knowing about issues from other owners and not fixing them. Don’t know if I will be getting another Ford
This should be interesting. Here is what your Warranty Guide states;

"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

I wonder if parts not being available would be considered an extenuating circumstance in regards to the 30 day period.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop. Thanks.

Peter

This should be interesting. Here is what your Warranty Guide states;

"Ford and your dealer are not responsible for any time or income that you lose, any inconvenience you might be caused, the loss of your transportation or use of your vehicle, the cost of rental vehicles, fuel, telephone, travel, meals, or lodging, the loss of personal or commercial property, the loss of revenue, or for any other incidental or consequential damages you may have."

I wonder if parts not being available would be considered an extenuating circumstance in regards to the 30 day period.

Good luck and please keep us in the loop. Thanks.

Peter
Service advisor just called and said that a wiring harness is on a backorder with no ETA so now they can get me a free rental. Now it's replacing the main valve body, park brake solenoid and the valve body harness because of a short. Little coincidence seeing as I went there last night and requested all service records to forward to my lemon law attorney. Getting a rental now and the harness could take 3-4 weeks just to come in. It sucks making a payment on a car I don't have but at least they're getting me a rental after borrowing a friend's truck for 10 days.

Back