• Register Today It's free!

transmission life?

mitchevans

Reaction score
City, State
SW Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT AWD
I am either the second or third owner of my Ex and i was wondering what the average lifespan of a tranny is. Notice a very slight slow shifting (maybe cause i dumped a bottle of lucas tranny fix in it) Its got 98,000 and i was wondering if a new tranny is in the future soon or not for very long and how much they cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Mitch, it's kind of a tough question because there are so many variables. I've seen them go at 50k, and last past 200k. Towing, prev. maint matters- sometimes how the truck is driven. But even granny tranny's go out too.

As far as replacement, a couple thousand for a complete swap isn't out of line, unless you can find one from Weller or LKQ (U Wrench It) or someplace like that, and either install it yourself, or have it put in for what seems to be around here about $700-$1000 by the time you get fluids, filters, all the other stuff, etc...

^ Very true ^

mine just whent again lost ast gear have to start in 2nd buti did mine 4x4ing push it hard to get up the moother of all sand dunes mine covered by insurance but so lucky i guess

I have 140 + K miles on my '99 and it has never, never missed a beat.

I do run extra cooling and an external filter and always use full synthetic ATF ( Amsoil ),

aldive you have a 2wd, these guys are talking awd and 4x4 :dunno:

aldive you have a 2wd, these guys are talking awd and 4x4 :dunno:

I see nowhere it states this only applies to 4wd/awd only. Do you just go around trying to be rude and start trouble?

I see nowhere it states this only applies to 4wd/awd only. Do you just go around trying to be rude and start trouble?

just trying to keep things honest

I am either the second or third owner of my Ex and i was wondering what the average lifespan of a tranny is. Notice a very slight slow shifting (maybe cause i dumped a bottle of lucas tranny fix in it) Its got 98,000 and i was wondering if a new tranny is in the future soon or not for very long and how much they cost?

When did you do your last fluid and filter change?

Back