• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problem?

ORDarksideD

Reaction score
City, State
Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
A little bit of an odd problem. I parked my explorer earlier tonight and was inside maybe a total of ten minutes, before leaving again. I put my explorer in reverse and it wouldn't go backwards. It just revved as if it was still in park. I put it into park and back into reverse a few times with no luck. Finally, I put it in park and turned it off. I turned it back on and put it back in reverse. There was a slight "pop" and it finally moved backwards. I noticed a small amount of transmission fluid in the driveway, but it doesn't appear to be leaking. It seems to go into reverse just fine now. Any idea what would have caused this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you seeing any more fluid on the ground? What I mean is fluid on the transmission and fluid on the transmission are two different things

None at all. Oh, and FYI I have an automatic transmission. I forgot to mention that.

Oh, and here's something that makes it odder. Before I went inside I checked my transmission fluid. Just because I hadn't checked it in a while. Could that have anything even remotely to do with this? Thanks.

Im positive that checking the fluid would not cause the transmission to NOT go into gear. Low fluid and a blockage in the transmission would most likely cause something like you are experiencing. If you haven't changed your fluid and filter recently, it might be a good time to do so.

Back