Transmission problems - delayed shifting | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission problems - delayed shifting

sidneyhop

Reaction score
City, State
Orlando, Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 AWD Limited
Transmission problems - delayed shifting *pics*

My trans developed a problem yesterday where it didn't want to shift from 2nd to 3rd. Normally the RPM is around 1500 when it shifts, but then it started to go up to 3000 before it kicked over.

Now it seems as if the problem is getting worse. It goes up to 3500, then quickly jumps to 4500 and then shifts. Almost as if its slipping that last 1000 RMP.

Ive read the valve body gaskets can blow on the 4.0 5R55E causing the delayed shifting problem but mine is a 5.0 4R70W. Does it sound like a VB gasket issue or something else?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

if you let off the throttle does it kick into 3rd gear? Do you have a hesitation when you shift into drive (Meaning does it take a second for it to engage)?

Sounds kind of like the problems I was having before I swapped out my trans.

It in fact does sound a lot like a blown TB gasket. They're 6-80$. Wide range of money. If you replace yourself, I'd check all of the bolts around the tranny and make sure their torqued correctly. Remember, report back with results!

Update:
OD light is now flashing and it doesn't even shift into third now. Just holds in 2nd with RPMs around 3500 - 4500.

This started 3 days ago. Fluid looks & smells fine. Could a trans fail in that short a period or does it sound more and more like a VB gasket problem?

No delay when shifting into 1st.

Anyone experienced anything like this or have any insight?

Thanks

So I removed the valve body and didn't see any big gasket blowouts. There were some splits but nothing blown out.

Also there was some sludgy black material coating the magnet and coating the valve body in some areas. This is clutch material Im guessing, but was it more than normal for 110K miles? There wasn't enough to coat the bottom of the pan but was still present.

Im wondering if I should put the new gaskets in with the new filter and fluid to test it out or just call this tranny shot?

I thought these 4r70w 's were supposed to be bullet proff?! :(

If I did get a new trans how difficult is it to remove the old and put in the new? How long for someone who's never done it before and any tips to make it go easier?

Also would I need to get one specific to my year range with AWD / 4WD or will any do? I see a lot for sale that came out of mustangs and wonder if they are interchangable with mine?

Is it cheaper to have one rebuilt or just buy a used/rebuilt one?

Thanks.

Update:
So I figured out what the problem initially was. I had a broken 2-3 accumulator spring. I read in another forum on another site that having this can eventually cause the clutches to fail. :frustrate

0421131520_zps322bcde7.jpg

Its only been going on for 3 days, but still, on the third day 3rd gear went out completely where as I wasn't able to shift past 2nd.

Can having a busted 2-3 spring cause 3rd to go out like this?

The sludgy material that was on the pan magnet was about half the volume as the magnet itself. Also the film on the VB plate shows how much was present there. Does this look like the result of a burnt clutch?

0420131926_zps9049838f.jpg

I don't want to waste the fluid and gaskets if a rebuild is needed, using twice the amount.

If a rebuild is needed whats the best kit to get? I found a guy who's able to pull the trans, rebuild it, and reinstall for 300$. Does this sound like 'too good' of a price? What other things can I take care of now to insure a solid build?

Thanks

Sounds like a "too good to be legit" price. I got a quote for around 2k to rebuild mine. I'm getting it rebuilt right now for 350-400 bucks. I take it to him, he rebuilds it, I put it in.

Im elated to report that I fixed the transmission problem by replacing the 2-3 accumulator spring!

I though for sure the clutches were toast but after putting in the new spring and changing all the VB gaskets, new filter and fluid she shifts fine. :D

For all those experiencing similar problems, CHECK YOUR ACCUMULATOR SPRINGS before having it rebuilt!

Dang, that's awesome man. good to hear that.

Im elated to report that I fixed the transmission problem by replacing the 2-3 accumulator spring!

I though for sure the clutches were toast but after putting in the new spring and changing all the VB gaskets, new filter and fluid she shifts fine. :D

For all those experiencing similar problems, CHECK YOUR ACCUMULATOR SPRINGS before having it rebuilt!

good to know... thanks.

Back