Transmission seems to go into reverse twice | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission seems to go into reverse twice

Mbrooks420

High Voltage.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Mountaineer AWD
I've noticed for about a week that sometimes when cold my truck wil seem to engauge reverse twice. I shift into reverse, and it clunks into gear, then if I sit there with my foot on the brake it will clunk again after 2 or 3 seconds. I've never had it happen when it wasn't totally cold. Any ideads? I am going in to talk to the trans shop on Monday or Tuesday. Oh, and the trans has under 20K on it(rebuild) and the fluid was changed at 14K.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hmm...sounds very similar to something that I have experienced on my '96 X. I too had a transmission shop take a look at it and I was told that Explorers are built with a bit of slack in the transmission, especially in the rear-end. They explained that the clunk, although obnoxious to listen to, wasn't actually causing any harm and when they looked at the tranny, said that everything looked fine, U-joints in good condition, etc. Unless it seems to be getting worse or is affecting how the truck drives, you might ignore it for now, but a second opinion from someone that knows transmissions might not be such a bad idea either.

I have noticed this "2 clunks in reverse" as well. What it feels and sounds like to me is one clunk is the transmission itself chaning into reverse and the other is the rear differential moving slightly with the tranny and banging as well, like there may be a little too much backlash. I've got under my car to listen to this while a friend changed the gears.

One thing however is that I have a rear locker that could be amplifying the rear diff gears banging, but I seem to remember this happening before I put the locker in.

JoBunn, my 2000 Mountauneer 4.0 is doing the exact same thing. It's got 67,000 miles on the clock and has progressively worsened since taking it to the Ford garage at 35,000 miles. Happens when the truck has not been driven and when it has been driven. It's like the transfer case gets the signal but is slow in sending the (reverse gear) selection to the rear differential.

The Ford garage came back with "we couldn't duplicate the problem" on 3 different visits. So, now I'm driving it 'till something happens. (Could have had it repaired under warranty when it first showed up, but......)

John H.

My 95 has been doing the same thing for about 75k miles

Back