• Register Today It's free!

transmission swap

79broncojosh

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 EXP XLT 4X4 4 DR
my buddy bought my 93 5 spd exp from me and we just parted out a 1988 ranger with the auto trans and the manual shift transfer case. Will this trans work in the 93 and what all would we need if we were to do it?

The auto in the ranger was only about 6K miles old and the 5 spd in the 93 is barely able to shift anymore is the only reason we are even considering it.

What engine is in the Ranger? The 4 cylinder engine has a different bellhousing bolt pattern than the 2.9 L V6.

When the A4LD in the Ranger was rebuilt, did they build to 4.0 specs?

On the A4LD, 3-4 shift and TCC lockup are electronically controlled by the PCM. The PCM in the '93 isn't going to know how to do that, so you'll need an auto tranny PCM to get the overdrive and lockup to work (if you don't, it will behave like a traditional 3 speed tranny). Other workarounds exist if you don't want to find a new PCM, but ne wPCM is probably the most straigtforward way to do it.

The ranger had a 2.9 V6. The trans was just a reman from the local tranny shop which I use for all my tranny stuff ( never had a single problem from them) The truck took a tumble down a hill. So we are just parting it out and putting all the suspension and other good usable parts on the 93.

Back