Transmission Tune up?

suyoung93

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
Hi, guys..

I got a letter from Ford that suggests me a transmission tune up for $90.
My 2002 explorer is now 46000 miles.
It has some tapping noise when I start in the morning and its engine noise is definitely different from one year ago.
Do you guys think tune up is a good idea for my explorer?
You guys think it can soothe my noises?
I will be waiting for your advice.
thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never heard of a "Transmission Tune up".... what does it entail?

(I'll admit I am a skeptic... it's like a FREE 20 point check up... just an excuse to convince you that you need something you probably don't)

Find out exactly what they do and what it includes and let us know.

A transmition tune-up usually entails fluid and filter change, lubricating the detent cable(kick-down) and checking and lubricating the linkage for loose or worn parts...checking the seals also on the shaft output......that kinda stuff

nascar_intimid said:
A transmition tune-up usually entails fluid and filter change, lubricating the detent cable(kick-down) and checking and lubricating the linkage for loose or worn parts...checking the seals also on the shaft output......that kinda stuff

His tranny does not have a kick down cable.

I meant the "tune-up" in general and not specific to his model ex...some have this and some have that..I was trying to cover all basis...thanks for the update though

Thank you, guys...
so...
You guys want me to take that "tune-up"...
okay...
I will check what they do to my Ex... and let you know...

I thought the 2002 transmissions were sealed and couldn't be serviced (fluid/filter change or flush) like older models? Do you have the 4.0L or 4.6L engine?

TPLYNCH said:
I thought the 2002 transmissions were sealed and couldn't be serviced (fluid/filter change or flush) like older models? Do you have the 4.0L or 4.6L engine?

They can definately be serviced it's just they they don't have a tanny fluid dipstick so it makes it a little harder to do.

Back