• Register Today It's free!

Trip computer buttons

p38fln

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have a 2003 XLT with the optional instrument cluster that shows the compass and outside temperature. From what the owner's manual says, there are only two clusters - the basic model, and this one.

We took the center instrument panel out and poked around in there and I noticed that it had the wires for the Setup / Info / Reset buttons, but it doesn't have the buttons.

If I were to put the Setup / Info / Reset buttons in, would the trip computer start working?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think so, I think there's a different model cluster with a different display. I could be wrong, but I remember reading a cluster swap where he used a Mountaineer cluster which had the display that used the 3 buttons, but he had to swap the display in the cluster with his stock mileage display because of different wiring and such.

You're right, I just realized mine says "TRIP" in nice pretty letters, not the alphanumeric letters it would say with the nicer dash.

So replace the panel and the buttons and then the trip computer will work?

You're right, I just realized mine says "TRIP" in nice pretty letters, not the alphanumeric letters it would say with the nicer dash.

So replace the panel and the buttons and then the trip computer will work?

No, I dont believe it will. I was just using his swap as an example. The Mountaineer cluster has a gray face which he wanted. He ordered one which was said to not have the computer display, but did. So he had to take the cluster apart, and swap his stock trip computer (like you have) in place.

Im not sure what it would take to get it swapped in there, I cant imagine it would be easy. Probably would need a different PCM too since I believe those hold the mileage. Dont quote me there, im not sure.

If it was just plug & play I would think alot of members would've added it and you'd see some write ups.

Well, if I ever run across a wrecked one with a working dash display and trip computer buttons I'll give it a shot. Otherwise I'll just use a calculator :)

Haha, that works!

I have a 4th gen, and found some Mountaineer clusters on eBay for like $35 and want to swap them. Some say you just need a dealer to program the cluster to the truck, others say it cant be done. I plan on doing the same thing one day, just buying one and trying it.

The Explorer speedo goes in like 20mph increments, and I think has a black face, but the Mountaineer cluster goes in 10mph increments (It just looks nicer to me) and its like a nice gray/black/silver color.

I'm a little confused, so excuse me if I'm wrong. Your 2003 instrument cluster mileage indicator is not working? I'm thinking remove the cluster and repair the broken solder connections on the back? As I had to do with my 2002 Explorer.

Added, -- well, at least I was right about being confused. :D

I'm a little confused, so excuse me if I'm wrong. Your 2003 instrument cluster mileage indicator is not working? I'm thinking remove the cluster and repair the broken solder connections on the back? As I had to do with my 2002 Explorer.

No, his works fine, but he wanted to upgrade to the larger message center that shows more info and looks nicer.

(One cluster has just the standard mile/trip a/trip b etc with the little button in the cluster you press to reset the trip, and the other one has 3 buttons near the radio that control a larger display in that same spot)

Back