Trying to bring my Trac back to life after sitting 5 years | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to bring my Trac back to life after sitting 5 years

David Edwards

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
After letting my 2001 Sport Trac (build date 08 00) sit for five years, I am now needing help to get it back to life. I can start and run the engine with starting fluid by engaging a push-to-start button directly connected to the starter solenoid. Thought that would bypass my flashing "theft" light that the lovely PATS system is giving me, but I was wrong. Apparently the PATS fault also knocks out the fuel injectors. Have tried all the tricks to reset the PATS, unhooked battery; left key in on position for 20 minutes, etc. Looks like PATS receiver around ignition keyring is dead. Dealer says to tow it to them, but that would be prohibitively expensive. Any thoughts on how to proceed from here?

Last week there was a forum member here who had a similar issue with PATS. He had the vehicle on an island and it was not practical to get it to a dealer or locksmith. He found someone to modify his PCM to eliminate PATS. If this is something you would want to do I suggest you PM him and find out who he had do the mod. I think he said it cost him around $60.

Here's a link:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/another-pats-problem.464195/#post-3641223

Back