Trying to disconnect/disable Heated Seats | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to disconnect/disable Heated Seats

floridaguy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport Trac
Passenger seat stays hot, unable to turn off. Driver's seat OK. Do some reading and it looks like there is a relay under the driver's seat that provides power to the heated seats. I'm in Florida and don't need heated seats. Try to find relay without removing the seat and decide to just cut the wires to the passenger heated seat switch. Seat still stays hot. Do some more reading and it looks like that switch is a momentary switch that sends a momentary blip of power to activate the relay under the driver's seat. Go away for two weeks and the battery is dead as a door nail. Replace the 8 month old battery and suspect the heated seat might be the culprit for that too. Do some more reading and someone says that on the fuse block/distribution under the hood, there is a large fuse (47B) that controls the heater relay and the lumbar support. Pull the fuse and discover it also controls the power seat movement. Put fuse back in. Feel under the driver's seat again for the relay and give up and pull 47B as a temporary fix and to see something else might be the cause of the battery issue.

If someone could help me locate that relay under the driver' seat without removing the seat I'd be grateful. I'm an old guy and question whether that is within my ability at this point. Just getting the plastic covers off the side of the seat have me befuddled. Thanks in advance for all help. Bob

I did unbolt the driver's seat and tipped it back. I didn't see the relay visible that has been mentioned in other threads. I did see a green wire connector and a gray wire connector. When disconnected, the seat still adjusts so Ieft them disconnected. Unfortunately the passenger seat still gets hot. I'm thinking one connector is for the seat and the other for the back of the driver's seat. Next I'll unbolt the passenger seat and hopefully find the same two connectors. I'll disconnect them and hopefully no more hot seats.

Back