Trying to find ABS sensor for 96 2WD XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Trying to find ABS sensor for 96 2WD XLT

tjrtmaster

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have called several parts stores trying to find an ABS sensor for the passenger side front on my 96 XLT Explorer 2WD 4.0L V6. Can anyone tell me where I can get a sensor and do you have a part number?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is some more information on the issue that I am having. A few weeks ago I replaced the wheel bearings on the front passenger side of my 96 Explorer 2WD XLT. When I started the motor everything looked normal. On the test ride when I got up to about 25 mph the dashboard ABS warning light came on and stayed on. If I shut the motor off and start it again everything looks normal until I get up to 25 mph and the light comes back on like before. I cleaned the sensor and the inside of the rotor on both the passenger side and the driver side. I unplugged the front passenger side ABS connector plug and took resistance readings and then put the multi-meter on AC and spun the wheel. I then did the same test on the driver side ABS sensor. Here are the results:
Front Passenger ABS sensor resistance - 1.185 K ohms, AC reading while spinning the wheel as fast as I could - 50 mv
Front Driver ABS sensor resistance - 1.203 K ohms, AC reading while spinning the wheel as fast as I could - 145 mv
Should these readings be the same?
Does it look like the passenger sensor is bad?
Next I started researching finding a replacement sensor. I called Ford and they said that the part is discontinued from Ford. The Ford part number for the passenger side front ABS sensor is F5TZ2B372A or BRAB153 and the driver ABS sensor is a different part number. Ford said a 96 or 97 Explorer uses the same ABS sensors. I called all of the auto parts stores around here (NAPA, Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, O'Rielys) and they don't have the part. I even gave the guy at O'Rielys the VIN of the vehicle but still no go. I have searched Google and E-Bay with no luck.
Is there another sensor that will work on this 96 Explorer?

I looked on rockauto for a front right (with RWD) and didn't see one, yet they offer a different part # for a '96 with 4WD/AWD for both the left and right front.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=1268709&cc=1119653

They list this one for front left with RWD:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=817820&cc=1119653&jsn=500

It might help if you pulled yours off so you can better compare it to the pictures of what they have. I looked for a picture of the Ford part # you listed but only found crude drawings which told me nothing about the differences.

I am wondering if the right side is a mirror image of the left side, if there is that difference and/or only a difference in the cable length. If it's only a cable length difference you may have to splice in more cable or get rid of slack if it's too long, OR is the cable detachable and you can reuse your old cable with a new sensor? Well even if the cable is not detachable, if it's in good shape you could splice on a new sensor, making sure the connection is waterproof. If you do splice, I would try to do that a fair distance away from the sensor so it's not in an area that flexes much.

I would check the cable connectors and test end to end continuity to confirm that the cable itself is intact before ordering anything, if you were to try to reuse it and only replace the sensor module on the end of it.

Edit: Trying to describe what I'd try next is difficult without having the part in front of me. Maybe you can get some sense of scale by coiling up the cord like it is in some pictures to see if it's only a cord length difference.

Edit 2,347: With both the L & R sensors reading the same resistance I would also wonder if the right has become loose, pulled away or something and that accounts for the lower voltage signal from it.

I looked on rockauto for a front right (with RWD) and didn't see one, yet they offer a different part # for a '96 with 4WD/AWD for both the left and right front.

It might help if you pulled yours off so you can better compare it to the pictures of what they have. I looked for a picture of the Ford part # you listed but only found crude drawings which told me nothing about the differences.

I am wondering if the right side is a mirror image of the left side, if there is that difference or only a difference in the cable length. If it's only a cable length difference you may have to splice in more cable or get rid of slack if it's too long, OR is the cable detachable and you can reuse your old cable with a new sensor? Well even if the cable is not detachable, if it's in good shape you could splice on a new sensor, making sure the connection is waterproof.

I would check the cable connectors and test end to end continuity to confirm that the cable itself is intact before ordering anything, if you were to try to reuse it and only replace the sensor module on the end of it.

I am wondering if the right side is a mirror image of the left side, if there is that difference or only a difference in the cable length. If it's only a cable length difference you may have to splice in more cable or get rid of slack if it's too long, OR is the cable detachable and you can reuse your old cable with a new sensor? Well even if the cable is not detachable, if it's in good shape you could splice on a new sensor, making sure the connection is waterproof.

I took a picture of the sensor mounted to the Explorer and it looks identical to the one on Rock Auto for the 1998 vehicle. I know the cable on the sensor is good because when I tested the sensor on AC and spun the wheel it read 50mv. As long as the sensor itself is the same on Rock Auto I can make it work. The problem it there is no way to know if the sensor is the same by looking at it.

That's why I wondered whether the left and right are any different besides the cable, because they do sell the front left for a '96 which is pretty certain to have an electrically compatible sensor, then you'd reuse the existing cable.

Problem solved. I got an ABS wheel sensor from a junk yard from a 97 Mercury Mountaineer and it works. No more ABS light.

Back