Two Quick Questions About Gears and tranny | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Two Quick Questions About Gears and tranny

frj00

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Sport 4wd 4.0 SOHC
Is it possible to switch to a B&M mega shifter even though I have the AOD function, Could the switch be located? If goinf to switch gears do I have to switch both because of the 4WD, I looked in the threads and did not finsd answers

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you're going to regear, then yes you will need to do both axles.

What is the AOD function?

I think he means OD. And (yes I'm saying this out loud) he often doesn't know what he's talking about and doesn't research.

Anyway, I don't know of many people who've switched to a floor or console shifter. It should be possible, but will take some work. As for the OD on/off switch, that will be one of the easiest parts of the conversion.

And yes, you'll need to regear both axles.

what's the issue?

It seems that you have many issues in regards to me, i have done as you claimed I would find the answers in the threads..no luck on the subject that was my question. Your Explorer wisdom does not make you the end all of all questions. Some of us are new to the Explorer and have many questions, I always had Ford Muscle cars and as YOU should know are quite different. Posting a topic should not annoy you and if that's the case I suggest you find someother way to voice your aggression towards others. Do not blame me because you have little tolerance for people, and continue to make negative statements in regards to me. Why don't you grow up and and come to terms with whatever it is that you have "real issues" with. If I knew so much about the Ford Explorer would I be asking questions?
I thought this was an open forum you don't need to reply to my posts...simple enough

I'm just stating my observations. I don't mean to offend you, I just think you should hunt around a bit more. Glad I finally got your attention, as none of my other posts have. I admit I probably shouldn't have said that and I appologize. My part in this ends here.

sorry

I had no idea that the search function was for this sight only. All these new terms and wires freak me out. Thats why I was happy to find this place. I have no idea what tranny what gears or anything the book I have does not state that it just explains what the numbers are like 13 is trans or somthing like that. Does anyone have a list of numbers to check what's going on with my SUV SO i KNOW WHAT i HAVE TO DO. Didn't mean to be rude sorry

About the gears, you need to switch both ends, unless you want to make it 2wd, then you can just pull out the front driveshaft. You can find what gears your truck has by looking at the Axle code on the sticker in the doorjamb and using this guide:
43 Open 3200 3.08
41 Open 3200 3.27
42 Open 4.10
46 Open 3.73
45 Open 3200 3.55
D4 Limited Slip 3200 3.73
D2 Limited Slip 4.10
L73 Limited Slip 3.73 >>

Robb

no problem, just a misunderstanding ;)

First thing, relax :cool:

To find your diff gear ratio, look at the axle code on your vehicle info sticker. This sticker is on your driver door. Then go here: Dead Link Removed
and it will tell you your ratio. As for converting the shifter, I still don't know. Your tranny is a 5R55E. The thing that's tricky with the auto 5 is that OD engages with first to make second. Then 3, 4, and 5 are like the previous tranny's 2, 3, 4. Confusing? Anyway, you'd bypass your second gear when shifting manually with a mega shifter.

:confused:

od relocating

I'm not sure if B&M makes the shifter to fit but Hurst might or Cheetah..but anyway how would I locate the button...

There are many aftermarket shifters with buttons built into them. Most electrical switches eventually come down to only 2 or 3 wires, so it would just be a matter of finding the wires leading to the factory switch and hooking them up to the new one.

That would be possible but have to search company's that could have somthing I could use, Well that would fit a Ford but I think most are almost universal, I just figure I will Get a console from junk yard and modify

Back