• Register Today It's free!

U-Joint expected life span

bluestream1

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4.0 SOHC 4X4
I finally had to replace my first u-joint after 269,000KM. It was the rear joint on the rear axel as you would expect. The front joint by the transfer case seemed fine so I left it in. After, I wish I would have just done them both them I have the driveshaft out.

What life are you guys seeing from the front U-joint on the rear driveshaft?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I finally had to replace my first u-joint after 269,000KM. It was the rear joint on the rear axel as you would expect. The front joint by the transfer case seemed fine so I left it in. After, I wish I would have just done them both them I have the driveshaft out.

What life are you guys seeing from the front U-joint on the rear driveshaft?

Mechanical device life depends more upon severity of use than anything else. IMO, you have "beaten the odds" with such commendably long service life! It is with interest that I wonder if the joint replaced was an original Ford-supplied part? I ask because most OEM Ford joints have no grease fitting, which means their entire life depends upon original lubricant remaining inside, and detritus from without remaining excluded. OTOH, some "experts" claim that inclusion of a greaser fitting weakens the part. My, such daydreaming! In days gone by, we greased U-joints every 2000 miles! However, I must admit, having removed my rear driveshaft at 92,000 miles to replace the joints (unnecessarily, I might add), that I found remarkably little of the usual indentation on the yoke trunnions caused by the needles than I expected to. ford has been doing something right, here! Without provision for periodic lubrication! imp

On a 4x4, the front U-Joint doesn't see too much usage, but water can still get in.
My AWD front U-joint was almost dry after 120k miles when I replace it. More important, in front, the CV connection is even more prone to wear. Of course, on your 4x4 it was probably never under high torque, so it might be in better shape.

As posted this was the original OEM U joint that lasted 269K Kilometers. The Ford sealed joints are good quality as they have to last at least until the warranty expires.

The life span would be affected by:

severity of use
angle of driveline
quality of the part
automatic or manual trans

The rear joint should go out first, as it has more travel than the front. My question is how long has the front u-point been lasting for most people? (front joint on rear axle)

I have never replaced any on my rig. No half shafts, tie rods, or CVs either. Only upper and lower control arms, transfer case, & rear wheel bearings (while replacing a seal). 224,000 miles.

As posted this was the original OEM U joint that lasted 269K Kilometers. The Ford sealed joints are good quality as they have to last at least until the warranty expires.

The life span would be affected by:

severity of use
angle of drivelinequality of the part
automatic or manual trans

The rear joint should go out first, as it has more travel than the front. My question is how long has the front u-point been lasting for most people? (front joint on rear axle)

(bold) True of rear driveshaft, with solid drive axle. The angle "seen" by U-joints varies as the the body moves up and down with respect to the axle.

The front driveshaft, however, experiences no angular change, but rather runs at a fixed angle, not quite a straight line through centers. This is good, as it allows the needles to move slightly back and forth in the joint, as the shaft rotates. imp

If the shaft is out for one joint, I always do both. False economy not to.

Bill

I have never replaced any on my rig. No half shafts, tie rods, or CVs either. Only upper and lower control arms, transfer case, & rear wheel bearings (while replacing a seal). 224,000 miles.
Because you drive always in 2WD mode? On asphalt? Who knows?

i think the answer is, it depends. is your truck lifted? if so, have you addressed the difference in drive shaft angle? do you off road a lot? do you drive through deep water often? how rough are you on your truck? if the OE u-joints have been replaced, what was the quality of the replacement u-joints? are the replacements the grease-able type? if so, do you grease them regularly? three of my 2wd trucks have between 200,000 and 215,000 miles on their original u-joints without any current problems. nothing will tear up a u-joint faster than water.

Back