• Register Today It's free!

ultimate tune up

XLT_Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
thunder bay ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 XLT
hey all so i've decided to do a tune up on my EX here's what i got so far K&N air filter, mobil 1 10w30 synthetic, TPS mod, clean the MAF,champion double platinum plugs, and bosch premium spark plug wires. hopefully it will free up some horse power. i still want to flush the tranny with mobil 1 synthetic, change the t case fluid with mobil 1, both diffs with either redline or royal purple, sound good? any other helpful free mods would be appreciated.

The dual platnium plugs have been studied and have proven to be non-effective. When a spark jumps the gap - it only jumps to one prong. The only thing you'd really get out of a dual platnium plug is a more complete burn; if that. Champion is an okay brand, but I forgot with what make of vehicle that they do not get along with. Also, why did you go with two different brand plugs/wires? I've never heard of that. Changing the T-case fluid isn't really neccessary. Flushing the transmission is always good - even if you just put Mercron IV ATF back in. Anyway, seems to be a good thing.

-Drew

from what I have heard bosch plug are for GM and autolite/motorcraft are for Fords. Just get an autolite platinum set of plugs and you'll be all right. And a nice set of the same brand wires.

Run a few bottles of injector cleaner through it too, and get a new fuel filter and pcv valve... it all helps

the champion double platinum still uses a single electrode just uses platinum on both sides. i've found champion to be good for ford in the past. the theory behind a dual electrode plug is longer life since the wear on the electrode should be cut in half.

Back