USB power, rear camera and proclip phone holder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

USB power, rear camera and proclip phone holder

Dave Head

Reaction score
City, State
Oviedo, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport 401a
I finally mounted my USB power point (Amazon) and may add another on the passenger side. I really didn't like the reverse facing outlet in the console with wires all over, plus I wanted a switched outlet. This powers my Anker Bluetooth line in for the phone and I may route over for the phone. I also added a 90 degree plug line in splitter for the phone so I can direct in for Iphone music or the bluetooth phone. All that wiring is neatly tucked away under the console. Proclip mounts are pricey but they do a great job.
Last but not least the Ebay ($36.00!)wireless backup camera does great daytime, marginal night time view. Rear camera and transmitter are powered by the backup lights. Originally I powered the monitor/receiver from the same switched line as the bluetooth, but I got flashing on the monitor with no input that would drive me bonkers at night - after reviewing the the Wiring book again - I tapped of the reverse circuit up front (fuse 15) so the monitor is only 'on' when the truck is in reverse. I may add another backup light to give me a better night view.

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0561.JPG

IMG_0562.JPG

IMG_0563.JPG

IMG_0565.JPG

Nice job! I have the same ProClip mount in my 2010. I like your idea for a USB port on the side of the console. I may borrow that idea and do the same thing. I don't like having to run the cord from inside the console out to the phone.

I found a switched circuit (location 20) and did an add a circuit in the fuse box for an ign on circuit. This is the add on from Amazon - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QRSBW0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1, and this is the usb outlet - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GV1E1AQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. I had a 1 1/8" hole cutter to cut the hole. You don't have to use the plate - take that off and just use the collar on the back. A little hookup wire, some crimp connectors and a ground point and you are in business.

Back