V8 and V6 aftermarket catbacks interchangable | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

V8 and V6 aftermarket catbacks interchangable

redsoxsrt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer v6
HI all, was wondering if aftermarket exhausts on the V8's and V6's are interchangable. i was on gibsons website and they have the v8 catback and another listed for a 2.5/3.0 but nothing for the 4.0 im assuming the 2.5/3.0 one is the one i need but we all know where assuming will get you. Any opinions on the best sounding/not stupid loud exhaust option for the 2006-10 4.0? i want something strictly bolt up. that wont drone like crazy. my last vehicle was an 05 srt-4 neon and droning was a big issue on those cars. so far all ive found has been the flowmaster force 2, and the magnaflow catbacks. and some ebay knockoffs.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gibson only makes a catback for the V8 and cannot be interchanged with the V6 since the mounting locations are different and the diameter of the tubing is too large for the V6. Flowmaster and Magnaflow make catbacks for the V6 that are louder than factory, but not too loud inside the vehicle. I went with Flowmaster because I like the sound of their mufflers better than Magnaflow, but like you I would have preferred a Gibson.

how do you like the flowmaster? their website says its fairly quiet. but what is quiet for some isnt for others. ive had a few vehicles with magnaflow mufflers, my last truck was a grand cherokee 4.7v8 and it sounded good, but droned like crazy, those 4.7s had some big time drone issues. it was a real smooth sound though. im leaning towards the flow because i have never had one before.

Well, with the windows up on the vehicle you can slightly hear it in the drivers seat, but with the window down you know it's there. So, it's definitely louder than stock but with a more aggressive low rumble like sound to it. I also put some foil backed foam insulation on the heat shield under the muffler to help absorb any vibration that may occur from the muffler causing the aluminum heat shield to vibrate and transfer that sound into the floor of the cabin.

nice it sounds like i might go that route, i cant justify spending the $ for the magnaflow. thanks for the info and input its appreciated.

Update on exhaust replacement for v6?

Back