Very audible clicking/clunking sound when key is turned on. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Very audible clicking/clunking sound when key is turned on.

TANSTAAFL

Reaction score
City, State
Topock, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Baure
1998 Eddie Bauer Explorer. Clicking sound problem started when I disconnected battery to add water. Reconnected battery, first heard the normal humming and clicking after doing such, but then a very audible and different clicking/clunking sound was comming like from behind dash. The vehicle starts and runs OK, but the sound continues even after engine is running

I then disconnected/reconnected battery twice, but sound continues

The clicking/clunking sound does not occur when the key is turned off or to accessories only position.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blend door perhaps? Search for threads on blend door fix.

Blend door perhaps? Search for threads on blend door fix.

Many thanks Kevlar7R, I think you nailed it first time right out of the chute. Raised hood, used stethoscope on firewall in that area, and there was no doubt as to where the click/clunk was emitting from.

As I understand it, the blend door actuator is vacuum controlled and the vacuum hose enters through firewall. As for now, I will not have the time to do a detailed fix and it bugs hell out of she who rules. If I can identify correct vacuum hose, I may just disconnect, or if necessary, cut and plug that hose for now.

No problem! That's what we do around here.

Don't think my blocking a vacuum hose will hold water. When the key is tuned on and engine not running, ie; no vacuum, but still get the click/clunk. Will need to delve further and see if the blend door actuator is controlled by a electric solenoid.

there is a vacuum "reservoir" to deal with the "engine not running" so you haven't necessarily ruled the "blocked vacuum" idea.

Have you considered a colony of mice in the dash? lol

Back