• Register Today It's free!

Vibration issue

willrappold24

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 ford explorer
I have a 1997 ford explorer limited and it has a virbration most noticeable between 55-60 mph. Its a always had alittle vibration but now it seems worse. It vibrates the steering wheel, i can feel it in my seat, and in the floorboard, and the dashboard especialy the fuel gage. If you go faster it kinda like above 70 mph it smoothes out and you only really feel it in the steering wheel. If you drop below 50 mph the steering wheel barly vibrates and I don't really feel a thing.

I had new upper and lower ball joints put on the front, tires rotated, balanced, front end alined, and a new muffler put on. And we have had both wheel barings replaced already.

Sounds like a bad tire.

Had this problem multiple times. First time it was a worn out rear drive axle; a special repair bearing fixed it. Second time it was a worn pinion gear in my differential; rebuild fixed that. Third time my driveshaft had worn u-joints; last time my driveshaft was just unbalanced.

These were not on an Explorer but I imagine the symptoms would be the same. The first three were on a 96 Camaro; last one was a 85 Corolla.

Back