VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor on 2010 Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

VSS Vehicle Speed Sensor on 2010 Explorer

bherd

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Explorer
Hi,
Tracked my Nav's poor performance to no VSS speed sensor connection to the unit. The VSS signal which is sometimes listed as being on the radio connector is not present/populated on the connector.

Where is the best and safest place to pick up the VSS signal? Does anyone have the pin out for the Powertrain Control Module? (I believe it is present there but cant find an accurate pin number or description for the 2010 w/ 3 connectors)

I realize that a version of the signal can be found at the rear ABS speed sensor but I would feel better about safety (not interfering with the ABS) picking the signal up either in the dash or engine compartment.

For that matter, anywhere that has a complete set of schematics would be a great help, if there is a DVD or website to be had.

Best,
Bil

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Got the 72 hour access to the vehicle schematics and looks like there is no outright vss signal. This is the model that had the Microsoft Sync and evidently didn't need a vss anywhere in the vehicle.

I have tapped the left front wheel speed sensor near the ABS module, hopefully that is compatible and doesn't affect the operation of the ABS.

In 2009 I was also looking for a vehicle speed signal for my navigation.
At least I found it. It comes from the PCM and is for the front wipers. Should be pin #4 . It works fine until today.

Edit: The picture shows the wrong connection at pin #3 , yellow/orange, where the signal is for the Output Speed (OSS) Sensor. I remember that I first was wrong using this signal.
Pin #4 should be right: Intermediate Shaft (ISS) Sensor, grey/yellow.

25329897ee.jpg

Thanks for the reply. The wheel speed sensor did not work as it was probably to raw of a sensor signal, I was hoping the nav system was high impedance with proper circuitry to work.

I just checked the schematic that I rented from Motorcraft and the ye/or on the top connector is the oss output shaft speed sensor which was going to be my last try, I also found a "vs" (assuming vehicle speed) from the PCM colored vt/or Pin 1 on the middle connector, which is an output of the PCM to the wipers, I will look to see if the nav works with it.

Thanks for the lead!

I was about a day away from buying or building an OBD to speed pulse module.

Bil

Yes, it looks like orange/yellow. I will have a closer look at the cable when it stops raining.

I edited my reply after you saw it as I did more research. That is the "oss" and is looks like a raw sensor signal which works for a lot of navs.

I also found an output marked "vs" to the wipers (per your suggestion to look there) and will look at it to see if it is a conditioned pulse train or something simpler for the wipers (and not nav).

Back