want dual batteries | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

want dual batteries

tac0meat

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EB 2x4
i want to get dual batterries but before i do i have a couple of ?'s

can i use both a optima red top(current battery) and a optima yellow top with a battery isolator with no problems?

the optima yellow top is a deep cycle battery and not really all that good at starting right?

im thinking i can mount them both in the stock battery location witha little mod done to the tray, cuz the optimas are pretty small

the reason i want dual batteries is cuz i got a couple extra lights good sized system, and a power invertor that i would regularly use. for example- yesterday i was installing a pair of tweeters in my X, i had a box fan running off my inverter and after about an hour my inverters "low battery" alarm started sounding, i had just enough juice to get my engine started. the reason im thinkin a yellow top and red top is so i cna use the yellow top and run it completely dead when parked, still have some use left in the red top, and still start my vehicle with no problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by tac0meat
i want to get dual batterries but before i do i have a couple of ?'s

can i use both a optima red top(current battery) and a optima yellow top with a battery isolator with no problems?

I can't see any reason why you would have a problem. All the isolator lets you do is chose what battery you wish to send power to and receive power from.

the optima yellow top is a deep cycle battery and not really all that good at starting right?

From what I've heard these are better as one that gets used for long periods of time, unlike the "give it to me baby" power needed on startup. This would be perfect to use while your tailgating, then when you go to start, flip over to the Red Top

im thinking i can mount them both in the stock battery location witha little mod done to the tray, cuz the optimas are pretty small

Nope. I got a red top in mine and theres not that much space left to play with. You maybe able to use one of the smaller Red Tops, but I can't see how you'd get a yellow top in there.

I've only got a yellow top in my truck... I've been told that since it's a deep cycle that it's not the best/greatest, but I've yet to have a problem...and I'm not worried about it. As for fitting 2 optimas in the stock spot. They are smaller, but not that small. I'd personally love to do the dual batteries since my stereo is quite a drain, but money is not there after doin the V-8 swap.
Pete

Originally posted by tac0meat

Wer have used deep cycle batteries for starting duties on our boats for years with absolutly NO problems.

Hope this helps.......

How can anyone say that two batteries won't fit in the stock one battery location without a little bit of work? Has anyone tried to turn their battery so its facing the side to side? Two will fit WITH some mods to the body right there.

Back