way to get maps on screen w/o Navigation? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

way to get maps on screen w/o Navigation?

DebC

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 XLT Leather :)
Hi there,

Long story short, I got over my case of the (GM - Chevy) Stupids (don't ask) and picked up my new Ford Explorer XLT on Wed :)

Like others I found out too late that I don't have the Navigation feature so am relying on the Sync Services through my Samsung Note 3. I cannot afford to have the Navigation feature added through the dealer and I do understand that getting the SD card on it's own won't work :(

Wondering if anyone knows of a way to get a driving map to show on the screen w/o benefit of the Navigation option? I normally use Google maps but see that this system uses Mapquest instead. It's nice to have the voice tell me where I'm going but I'd still like to have a visual as well if there's a way to accomplish this.

I haven't tried this yet, but since my phone can get voice directions (and a map) from Google maps, I was going to try to see if I can get this to work to get the turn by turn directions to speak to me like phone calls do through the SUV. Anyone try this yet?

Thanks,
Deb

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

works perfect with iphone 5 and both apple and google maps on my car. ford has the worse automotive nav on the planet and i refuse to use it........oh but their working on it, just ask rebecca and the ford iv team. the laughing stock of the industry, including GM

Unless you want to hack the system with something like the lockpick hardware discusses in another thread here, you can't do it.

And, Ford won't add navigation after the fact.

From a cost perspective, your best bet is to get a Garmin for under $200 and use it when you need it.

Remember, when you use Sync, you are using a live cell connection.

Swap it out with complete after-market unit. It'll work better, with more features, and depending on where you buy it from, you get a decent warranty and updates.

Swap it out with complete after-market unit. It'll work better, with more features, and depending on where you buy it from, you get a decent warranty and updates.

Not sure how well that works since with MFT, everything is integrated... you couldn't control your A/C fully without MFT.

Not sure how well that works since with MFT, everything is integrated... you couldn't control your A/C fully without MFT.

And some consider that technological progress.

Don't think I can do that, it's a lease vehicle. I can get by with my phone and my Garmin. Have to pay more attention to the options next SUV ;) but then again the price would'a been higher then.

Thanks all for your responses.

Don't think I can do that, it's a lease vehicle. I can get by with my phone and my Garmin. Have to pay more attention to the options next SUV ;) but then again the price would'a been higher then.

Thanks all for your responses.

Once upon a time, I bought a 1987 F-150. No radio, no carpet, manual windows, 4 speed with granny gear (do they even make those anymore?), and an 8' long bench seat. No A/C, either. Long bed.

It never broke down. Why? It didn't have anything on it to break.

I put my own stereo (Alpine head, CD unit, Carver amp, big ass speakers with X-overs), carpet and seat covers.

Except for the lack of A/C (which really cut down on the number of "friends" you have when own a pickup), it was pretty nice.

I once had a bicycle and it never broke down. Oh wait the chain kept coming off. Never bought another one.

Back